free website stats program Amperage fluctuation | Harley Davidson Forums

Amperage fluctuation

Derek M.

What would cause my amperage to drop under load? For example cruising down the road after 10-20 min of riding the amps drop from normal (12-14 amps-to 8-9 amps) and bounces back and forth the lights don’t dim everything is normal, when I pull the clutch in and they stay at 12-14 amps

Amps? or voltage? I've not seen many bikes with amp gauges. Anyhow, check for a loose battery connection first, then go on to check voltage regulator connections, etc.

As Breeze said.
Clean, grease and tighten battery connections: then follow the wires and do the same all down the line.

Also, with a fully charged battery, with voltage meter hooked to it, crank the engine to see how far the voltage drops.
9.5 to 10 is weak battery.
Do a Amp draw test on it, 75 + amps below specs is early stage of weak battery.
Older weak battery can cause voltage regulator to fail.

What year bike do you have? As stated above check the battery terminal connections and the ground cable remove it and clean ground cable eyelet and mounting area. Make sure battery is fully charged then put a bolt meter across the terminals. Start the bike and check the voltage coming to the battery it should be around 13.8 to 14.3 volts give or take. If that checks good disconnect the rectifier regulator connector to the stator and perform the stator tests use the shop manual for your year bike. Check the simple things first and go from there.

Back