free website stats program amp install= no FM reception, help | Harley Davidson Forums

amp install= no FM reception, help

eng23ine

I installed a hogtunes amp and speaker system and its not getting along very well with my hogtenna...nothing but static when the amp is running (CD's sound great though).

I've tried switching power sources for both the amp and the antenna with no luck

Any ideas?

'07FLHX

Is there a possible ground that has been overlooked for antenna upon installing amp???

Yep...sounds like you're dumping al the audio power to ground...thus the static. Re-check your grounds & separate (per Tank's recommendation).

The amp ground runs directly back to the battery and the antenna is grounded inside the faring.

Both devices work great by themselves, just not when both are powered up.

Right now I have to choose between listening to CD with an amp or the radio with no amp :wall

Don't know if it will help but have you tried running the amp ground to the frame?

I installed a hogtunes amp and speaker system and its not getting along very well with my hogtenna...nothing but static when the amp is running (CD's sound great though).

I've tried switching power sources for both the amp and the antenna with no luck

Any ideas?

'07FLHX

The antennea would have nothing to do with the amp, it connected to the radio. The Cd player sounds great and that prooves the amp is working. If anything the new antenna is defective or not connected properly or the connection from the amp to the radio is the problem.

The antennea would have nothing to do with the amp, it connected to the radio. The Cd player sounds great and that prooves the amp is working. If anything the new antenna is defective or not connected properly or the connection from the amp to the radio is the problem.

Pretty sure its RF interference, since the antenna works great with the amp unhooked. I just gotta figure out how to stop the interference.

Normally the grounding problem would interfere with AM not FM reception

Don't know what Hogtunes amp you installed but I just installed the 902.2 and have the same problem. Scott at Hogtunes even mentioned that I might experience this issue as I was making my order. Apparently it is a known problem and has to do with the fact that both the amp and the hidden antenna are digital and there is a compatibility problem. He assured me Hogtunes was working on a solution (soon) and he would ship me a new amp at zero cost once the problem is solved.

Back