free website stats program Alternatives To the Dobeck TFI? | Harley Davidson Forums

Alternatives To the Dobeck TFI?

Rod Stewart

After my recent second TFI failure in 3 years I think I want to try something else.
I really like what the TFI does for performance, but I am tiring of having them go "poof" in the the middle of no where on a long ride.
I know there are plenty of folks on the forum who swear by the TFI, but I am just getting tired of the issues.

I think there are folks on the forum using the Power Commander, and the Mastertune systems.
Are these any good, and in particular, do they last?
Are there any other systems out there that are RELIABLE?

My ride is a 2004 EG Classic with 95 inch, SE 203 cams, V&H true duals, free flow mufflers, K&N AC.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Rod

Rod,

I would Only add:

Call Dobecks and get with them... Talk to Chris:s Tell him BUBBIE said.....
877-764-3337
406-388-2377

Maybe a gen3 would do you better???

I have had No problems with my TFI on my 09 FLHR and Several people I ride with have had NONE also.. All using TFI's on 08 and 09 bikes, and on their bikes for 3 years and still performing just great.

signed....BUBBIE

I too use the V and H Fuelpak with no problems. However, If you plan to go further than a Stage 1 upgrade then you'll have to go with something else like a Power Commander, etc.

I too use the V and H Fuelpak with no problems. However, If you plan to go further than a Stage 1 upgrade then you'll have to go with something else like a Power Commander, etc.

QUOTE ........

You've probably heard terms such as Stage 1, Stage 2, etc. Now depending on who you ask, a Stage 1 upgrade could be anything from an exhaust upgrade to a new carburetor. I'm going to base the term "Stage 1" on what the motor company typically terms for this upgrade. With that said, a Stage 1 upgrade consists of the following:

Free breathing air cleaner.
Free breathing exhaust.
Rejetted carburetor or remapped EFI.
Upgraded ignition (if require*).

There is probably no greater beginning upgrade you can make than Stage One which is entirely a bolt-on procedure. If you want you can take this upgrade one step at a time however, I recommend going in the order listed above if not all at once.

Hey hi rockin Rod i'm running the pc5 with autotune (fatty 2010) and well I like it here in OZ open roads twisty bits works well so far cheers.

The Power Commander and Master Tune that you make mention of in your post are great products but probably not without their own failures out in the field.

I personally have been a user of the Vance & Hines Fuel Pak. On two different bikes they have served me well. I am sure the Fuel Pak has let a few folks down and some folks would tell you to stay away from them.

Do you know anything about the failures that you have had? Wiring harness or module failure? Is the location of the module a factor (heat). If the harness has been involed in your failures was the wire routing a potential factor in the failure?

Has Dobeck looked at your failed units? Maybe they could learn something by doing a root cause investigation on the failed units.

TANK:
Thanks for the feedback.
I guess wiring failures are entirely possible considering how the unbalanced twin cam engines vibrate. But the stock injector wiring drops down from the wiring harness above the engine, just like the TFI wiring does, and it seems to last OK.
And you can't rule out heat since they are usually mounted under the seat right in front of the battery.
I have contacted Chris at Dobeck and he has suggested sending the failed TFI in for a checkout.
It is disconnected but physically still in the bike, since the failure happened on the road. I am reluctant to pull it out without having in hand something to replace it with, since draining and removing the tank is a big PITB. I'd rather not have to do it twice.
Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks all.
Rod

TANK:
Thanks for the feedback.
I guess wiring failures are entirely possible considering how the unbalanced twin cam engines vibrate. But the stock injector wiring drops down from the wiring harness above the engine, just like the TFI wiring does, and it seems to last OK.
And you can't rule out heat since they are usually mounted under the seat right in front of the battery.
I have contacted Chris at Dobeck and he has suggested sending the failed TFI in for a checkout.
It is disconnected but physically still in the bike, since the failure happened on the road. I am reluctant to pull it out without having in hand something to replace it with, since draining and removing the tank is a big PITB. I'd rather not have to do it twice.
Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks all.
Rod

Rod,

Would you mind IF i get involved here?

I might be able to do something to help out This situattion.???

Maybe?

signed....BUBBIE

Rod,

Would you mind IF i get involved here?

I might be able to do something to help out This situattion.???

Maybe?

signed....BUBBIE

Well I Did... Get involved that is...

Chris said "IF you'll send back the TFI AFTER,, WHEN you get the NEW gen3 he Will send you First..:D

You just need to call him and they Will send out a gen3 in exchange AFTER you install the gen3,,,, Then Send back the TFI to them.

They would like you to USE/Have this gen3 unit to make up for Problems you have had with the TFI's...

Their thinking IS the wires tied up and out of the way ,connecting the TFI to the injectors, May have broken or pulled out enough to cause the problem....

When installing the wires on a HD that Vibrates, care must be taken in Not getting the wires Isolated too much.. They May break over time...

(i know you understand but mentioned this for Others to understand here)

SO,,,,, Call Chris and He WILL send out a new gen3 in exchange for the TFI so they can find the fault in/with it..

Chris Will send out the gen3 First and then Asking you to Please send BACK the TFI after you install the gen3..

NOW where can you go wrong here?

YOU have to just call him and OK this Deal..

Your welecome if you take advantage of this deal...

You being Gun-Shy of the TFI, Chris offered the gen3 as a replacement.

You WILL like it.

The only thing I need to add is:
for my involved time here:
You do the offer, take Care in installing the gen3 unit and Careful on NOT too tight on the injector wires please when looped Up and out of the way.

And a report here on HDT on how it is doing...and then another report Next year on how good it has functioned.. I have Faith.:D

For others:
Chris said that the TFI's they have "out" (some over ten years now) Rarely Fail... Mostly the few returned were caused from Tied up too tight on the wires going to the injectors from the TFI. Wire breaks and that was the Problem.

Dobeck is/are Great company along with the workers there.:D

Proud to have them on-board here on HDT.

signed....BUBBIE

Proud to have them on-board here on HDT.

signed....BUBBIE
__________________ Now that is what I call above and beyond EXTRA FAST service, way to go Bubbie:s

BUBBIE;
I appreciate your input as always.
I will definitely give Chris a call tomorrow and see what we can work out.
I am more than happy to pay any price difference between a GEN III and the one I have, if there is any.

As I said I was always happy with what the TFI did for performance; I am just a little disillusioned after a second failure. I personally know owners of two other Harley's that have TFI's on them, and they have had no trouble at all after several years of use.

Thanks again, and I will let the forum know how it turns out.
Rod

Back