free website stats program Air Wing Luggage Rack Problem w/ Hollow Hex screw | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Wing Luggage Rack Problem w/ Hollow Hex screw

jnesmith

I purchased an Air Wing Luggage rack and light kit yesterday. I go to put it on my Ultra Classic. Get everything set up.

The hollow hex screw doesn't seem to fit in the luggage rack support mount. It will not seat to the threads.

Anyone had this problem? Will the silicon help at all?

I'm sure I'm attempting to screw the bolt into the correct rack mount support. It looks as if the rack mount support isn't machined all the way so the bolt will catch on the threads.

Driving me crazy considering the cost of the rack and light kit!!!

Any help much appreciated.

Didnt have that problem. Are you on the left rear mount?
Have you tried laying it down on the ground and test run the bolts in?
I certainly wouldnt force it. Take it back and get a different on. Maybe there is an imperfection in the casting.

Wrong bolt, like Glider said or bad thread on the bolt. Take a close look at the bolt thread as those are usually the ones that get banged up. If it looks OK try a test fit as Crazy Frog suggested. If you don't have a thread chaser have the dealer do it or replace the bolt. If it is the rack the dealer can chase the thread on that with a tap.

No detailed instructions showing lay out and bolts, stick a pick in the hole and measure it against the length of the bolt, is the bolt the correct thread pitch?

No detailed instructions showing lay out and bolts, stick a pick in the hole and measure it against the length of the bolt, is the bolt the correct thread pitch?

Good idea.
When I added the padded sissy bar to my Sporty, I had one screw that wouldn't take.
I had to look at the threads closely and to my surprise, one of the bolt holes wasn't even threaded. Drilled only.
The local dealer did thread the hole for me.

I wrote a "complaint" letter to Harley, explaining how the hole was drilled but not tapped.
Funny, I received a nice letter from a gal at Harley Headquarters saying sorry but she didn't know what "tapped" meant.

I wrote a "complaint" letter to Harley, explaining how the hole was drilled but not tapped.
Funny, I received a nice letter from a gal at Harley Headquarters saying sorry but she didn't know what "tapped" meant.

They hadn't pre programmed her for that :lolrolling

Yes, left rear mount.

I tried a test mount in my kitchen.

I will take rack to dealer as I believe the hole is drilled, but not tapped.

Have the whole setup. Just frustrating.

Thank you all for the very quick replies. At least I now know I am not going crazy.

Good observation Gusotto & Jnesmith regarding the lack of threads in the "blind" holes, sad that Quality Control/Inspection did not catch it, as final finish machining is probably done by hand by a contracted manufacturer prior to plating.

Back