free website stats program Air Shock Pressures | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Shock Pressures

glider.

BOT Machine
The late model bikes (2009 and newer) run higher air shock pressures than the early model touring bikes,

FLHR/C, FLTR and FLHX

Solo rider:
up to 150 pounds 0 psi
150-200 pounds 0-10 psi
200-250 pounds 10-20 psi
250-300 pounds 20-30 psi
over 300 pounds 30-50 psi​
Solo rider with capacity luggage of 40 pounds
up to 150 pounds 10-20 psi
150-200 pounds 20-30 psi
200-250 pounds 30-40 psi
250-300 pounds 40-50 psi
over 300 pounds 50 psi​
Maximum GVWR 50 psi
If P&A Tour-Pak is installed, add 5-10 psi to shock pressure.
Do not exceed 50 psi rear shock pressure.

FLHT/C/U

Solo rider:
up to 150 pounds 5-10 psi
150-200 pounds 10-20 psi
200-250 pounds 20-30 psi
250-300 pounds 30-40 psi
over 300 pounds 40-50 psi​
Solo rider with capacity luggage of 70 pounds
up to 150 pounds 25-30 psi
150 to 200 pounds 30-40 psi
200-250 pounds 40-50 psi
over 250 pounds 50 psi​
Rider plus passenger 50 psi
Maximum GVWR 50 psi
Do not exceed 50 psi rear shock pressure

These are early year shock pressures.

Here is the older model specs
All models except FLHRS,FLHX-Standard shocks

Solo rider up to 150 lbs.
hereafter referred to as "average" 0 psi

Solo rider 150-200 lbs. 0-10 psi.

solo rider 200-250 lbs. 5-15 psi.

Average rider with passenger 10-15 psi.
up to 150 lbs.

Average rider with passenger 20-25 psi.
up to 200 lbs.

Maximum GVWR. 20-35 psi.

FLHRS,FLHX only-low profile shocks

Solo rider up to 160 lbs. 0-5 psi.
hereafter referred to as "average"

solo rider 160-200 lbs. 0-10 psi.

solo rider over 200 lbs. 5-10 psi.

Average rider with passenger 20-30 psi.
up to 150 lbs.

Average rider with passenger 25-35 psi.
over 150 lbs.

Maximum GVWR. 40-50 psi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I've been playing with my air pressure to find what feels best. This gives me a good reference. :)

I have the best way to deal with Harley's air shocks...loose them. They're bad anyway. I bought a pair of Terry Cable 2nd Gen. shocks at the 2013 Hollister biker rally and they are working F-I-N-E! No more air pumps. Much better in the turns loading/unloading energy...smooth! The transitions from concrete overpass to asphalt roadways are as smooth as a baby's butt. What a great difference. Found out Progressive shocks are made in China...Ain't going on my bike. I want my shocks to work for years, not days! Just saying.... :57:

In the 8 years of ownership of my FLH there has been no problems what so ever with the O.E. air shocks.

The OEM shocks, baggers, dynas and softails alike, are not very good and anyone that rides aggressively knows that. There are several options like Legend Revo, Pro Action, Penske and Ohlin that are so much better and offer more adjustability and compression/rebound dampening. I doubted the magnitude of the improved handling from one of the above could justify the cost until recently. I replaced the oil in the OEM shocks on my '02 FLHT more than a year ago with 7W and there was some improvement but when I borrowed a set of Pro Action shocks from a friend, I was amazed at the difference; the rear tire was actually planted in high speed sweepers, transitions in road surfaces were not felt and the shocks never bottomed out. I am a believer and now doing the research to determine what aftermarket shocks I will purchase to replace the OEM units..................;)

The OEM shocks, baggers, dynas and softails alike, are not very good and anyone that rides aggressively knows that. There are several options like Legend Revo, Pro Action, Penske and Ohlin that are so much better and offer more adjustability and compression/rebound dampening. I doubted the magnitude of the improved handling from one of the above could justify the cost until recently. I replaced the oil in the OEM shocks on my '02 FLHT more than a year ago with 7W and there was some improvement but when I borrowed a set of Pro Action shocks from a friend, I was amazed at the difference; the rear tire was actually planted in high speed sweepers, transitions in road surfaces were not felt and the shocks never bottomed out. I am a believer and now doing the research to determine what aftermarket shocks I will purchase to replace the OEM units..................;)

Keep us posted on your choice and review in a new thread. I too have changed to 7w and have never really been satisfied with the rear shocks.

Keep us posted on your choice and review in a new thread. I too have changed to 7w and have never really been satisfied with the rear shocks.

Just talked to the Ohlins guys today and leaning toward the HP772 Blackline shocks. Considering the Legend Revo A shocks go for about $725, Pro Action shocks go for about $800 and Progressive 944s, which are not much better than OEM go for about $680 and the Ohlin HP722s can be had for $945; hard to pass up Ohlins. If I was price limited to the $700 range, the Legends would be my choice; very nice shocks. Penske makes some great shocks as well but they sell their shocks in single units and the bottom line HD touring shock starts at $600/each. I can justify (sort of) the $300 jump from Legends to Ohlins but not a $600+ jump from Legends to Penske. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but a pair of Ohlins is likely the way I will go unless I get weak kneed on the price point and then Legend Revo A would be next choice................o_O

The guys that run Ohlins will not consider anything else; great customer service and completely rebuildable. The guys that I have talked to the have switched to Pro Action and Legend are quite happy with them. I am still looking for input from someone that has comparative experience with both and Ohlins............;)

I dumped the air shocks for the HD hand adjustable 13" shocks.Huge difference in ride quality.No more bottoming out.$ 549 is a hefty price to pay,but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Just talked to the Ohlins guys today and leaning toward the HP772 Blackline shocks. Considering the Legend Revo A shocks go for about $725, Pro Action shocks go for about $800 and Progressive 944s, which are not much better than OEM go for about $680 and the Ohlin HP722s can be had for $945; hard to pass up Ohlins. If I was price limited to the $700 range, the Legends would be my choice; very nice shocks. Penske makes some great shocks as well but they sell their shocks in single units and the bottom line HD touring shock starts at $600/each. I can justify (sort of) the $300 jump from Legends to Ohlins but not a $600+ jump from Legends to Penske. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but a pair of Ohlins is likely the way I will go unless I get weak kneed on the price point and then Legend Revo A would be next choice................o_O

The guys that run Ohlins will not consider anything else; great customer service and completely rebuildable. The guys that I have talked to the have switched to Pro Action and Legend are quite happy with them. I am still looking for input from someone that has comparative experience with both and Ohlins............;)

Curious, did you talk to Howard at Motorcycle Metal or something like that, about the Ohlins? I have spoken with him before. His website is a complete debacle the last time I was their. I've read some reviews about the Legends and came away with a sense of poor customer service and not a real good product. That must have changed in the last couple years.
The other question that I have and is never really covered by the Manufacturer. How many miles is a rebuild in order for the Ohlins, Revo's, and Pro Action? What are the costs involved with that?

Curious, did you talk to Howard at Motorcycle Metal or something like that, about the Ohlins? I have spoken with him before. His website is a complete debacle the last time I was their. I've read some reviews about the Legends and came away with a sense of poor customer service and not a real good product. That must have changed in the last couple years. The other question that I have and is never really covered by the Manufacturer. How many miles is a rebuild in order for the Ohlins, Revo's, and Pro Action? What are the costs involved with that?

Full disclosure; I am not a suspension expert. I did rebuild my front forks with RaceTech springs, modified Ricor Intimintors and lighter weight fork oil; set sag and I guess I got lucky because I am quite happy with the improved handling and almost no front end dive under braking. The improved front end handling has clearly made the poor handling OEM shocks more obvious. I had a pucker moment last weekend in a long sweeper marked at 45 on a south Texas two lane blacktop that I was negotiating at 80-85 when I hit a rough spot and the rear end got squirrely, not the dreaded bagger wobble but she tried to toss me off. So, upgrading the rear suspension has my attention right now.

I did not talk to Howard; talked to Matt Sage at Ohlin and a guy I know that works at an indy shop in Wylie, Texas about pricing; they recently became an Ohlin dealer. No super deal as the HP772 (13" Blackline same as the HD159 which is natural aluminum color and both a "mid range" shock for Ohlin) can be purchased online for $954; just have to be careful that the distributor isn't selling something off the shelf since one of Ohlins sales tools is a purpose built shock setup for each individual rider. Ohlin is very particular about selecting dealers, so pretty sure any dealer authorized to sell their shocks works directly with Ohlin on setup. I do know that on customer service, repairs, rebuilds Ohlin prefers direct contact with the customer.

I do not know Howard but can tell you that he frequently visits the Ohlin headquarters and the Ohlin guys are respectful as Howard does push their product but they are not happy to see him and are happy when he leaves. Apparently the Ohlin guys get shocks in for service from time to time and the customer tells them that the shocks were re-valved by Howard but when the techs tear the shocks down, they find the valving the same as it was when it left the Ohlin shop.o_O

From what I have learned, a rebuild would be a good idea between 20K-35K miles but that would depend on how the bike is ridden. I don't know what the rebuild cost is but would expect $200 or thereabouts for a standard service which would include a complete teardown and inspection, new seals, oil and gas re-charge. Any worn or unserviceable parts would be replaced for the additional cost of the parts.

In doing my research on the Legends, I ran across a cross sectional breakdown of the shock and noticed some plastic internal parts; not impressive. Haven't done much research on Pro Action shocks yet but I am thinking they would be my fall back should I decide to pass on the Ohlin.

I did see some Ohlin HD159s go for about $600 on Ebay a while back so I might be looking there but considering those shocks would very likely have to be sent to Ohlin to be setup for me; not much savings over buying new.

Ohlin has been around a long time and will be around forever; I don't know that I can say the same for Legend or Pro Action.;)

Back