free website stats program air leak at spoke | Harley Davidson Forums

air leak at spoke

RAWLDYMAN

Found that the back tyre was flat when I was about to go out for a spin today. Got it pumped up so I could inspect the tyre but, eventually, found that the air was escaping (and quick too) at a spoke nipple. Anybody ever had this?
Bike was only sitting a few days and I cleand the wheels, spokes etc after my last spin. Didn't notice any loose spokes...and the leaking one still seems tight.
Question: would a loose spoke cause this? Or, is the wheel caput??

If it is a spoked wheel there should be a tube inside the tyre if the tube has a puncture the air will escape through the easiest place to get out from the wheel
A new tube would be the solution but first you will need to eliminate the cause of the tube puncture

Brian

Once you get the tire and tube off remove the rubber liner on the inside center of the rim and check each spoke head for burs or debris. Make sure the liner is in good shape and replace. Check the inside of the tire for something poking thru it may not leak around something causing the puncture, but leak out the spokes. good luck When reinstalling I like to sprinkle baby powder in the tire to keep the tire and tube from sticking.

Once you get the tire and tube off remove the rubber liner on the inside center of the rim and check each spoke head for burs or debris. Make sure the liner is in good shape and replace. Check the inside of the tire for something poking thru it may not leak around something causing the puncture, but leak out the spokes. good luck When reinstalling I like to sprinkle baby powder in the tire to keep the tire and tube from sticking.

:D Good advice here, I add just a bit of air to the tube before seating the top bead, it helps to keep from pinching the tube

I'm goin to get the wheel off & bring it to a bike shop as I don't have the tools (nor the expertise) to tackle this. I'll make sure and tell them to do all you say.
Thanks very much for the advice

I'm goin to get the wheel off & bring it to a bike shop as I don't have the tools (nor the expertise) to tackle this. I'll make sure and tell them to do all you say.
Thanks very much for the advice

Make sure you show the bad/loose spoke to them.:D

I have found going to a Metric shop (like today for me:D) Less expensive than a HD shop.

Cochise Motor Sport in Sierra Vista Az. Front and Back on my 09 KING ...Demount and Mount n balance then Out the Door...499$

MOST HD's going to that Metric Shop save 150 to 250$ for the same Dunlop tires (no HD :56:logo though) and Labor dismount and mount/balance..

Nothing against the S.V. HD shop but their NORMAL HD Prices:shock

Like the other day I was in NM at Barnetts HD..While there, decided to buy
TWO chrome oil filters for my 09, 103" King... 32$ Plus Tax.....:shock yes that is what I looked like******* Sticker Shock.........

Made me afraid to look at their prices on the bikes...

signed....BUBBIE

Back