free website stats program Air leak around spokes. Need remedy | Harley Davidson Forums

Air leak around spokes. Need remedy

Riding home tonight rear tire went soft but not flat as i was able to make it home. Put the bike on the jack got the spray bottle of sudsy water to look for leak in tire,found nothing. Spray around valve stem seal and spokes and there it is leaking. Is it as simple as retightening spokes or is there a bigger fish to fry here, hope not, any advice kindly appreciated. Have not been riding alot lately as the weather sure is terrible around this area, cause if you don't ride in the rain you're not riding.

Check your tire closely for nail/screw, ect... You have a hole in your tube... Sorry for the bad news...

Looked at tire did not see nothing but now will break out the glasses and monitor it a little closer, thanks. Just wondering would it be ok to patch or do i buy a new tube

I had a tube Fail at a seam. Thankfully it happened in the garage & not going down the road, because it was a major rupture. I would not patch a tube. JMHO... my bark rubs off too easily. :D

Like HarryB737 said, a new tube is in order as is a new rim protector. Make sure to check whether on object in the tire caused the pucture or was a spoke the problem. The problem causing the leak will need to be found and fixed before a new tube and rim protector is installed.

I do have the manual and reading it now, but of course i do have the warden uh i mean wife looking at me saying how much it gonna cost now, gotta love em'

Ask her how much the washer/dryer cost. Since you bought it just for her to lighten her work load.

Run.

Make sure when you have the tube & tire out that you inspect the rim for signs of corrosion or damage, and inspect the spoke ends are not poking out too far...the rim tape will only protect so much, check the wheel/rim alignment and the spokes "sound" the same (means they are tensioned evenly), a dull thud means spoke is stretched or nipple is stripped. Spoked wheels are a lot more trickier than just the cleaning ritual. Be patient and through...:s

Back