free website stats program Air Intake Question ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Intake Question ?

mi2az

I was wondering, If I change the Air Cleaner to one that allows more air flow and get new slip on's, Do I have to get the bike re-mapped ? Or is this as simple as plug and play.

I tend to agree with Tank's answer but many will tell you that you can put slip-ons (some even say straight pipes) without a remap.

Bottom line (if you don't get a tuner solution) is check your spark plugs for a white ash coloration around the electrode. This denotes an abnormal lean ignition scenario. If you run like that long enough it will burn (oxidize) the edges of your valves.

When I was a teenage we did not have EFI nor did we have a dyno to test on. But we still had straight pipes and the bike mechanics all told us how to check our plugs as I just said. Back then if they were too lean we pulled the carb metering jets out and drilled them a slightly larger size, put them back in and checked the plugs for awhile. Things are a bit more high tech now but you can still keep from burning your valves with the same old method.

Yep...air + pipes = too lean & will require tune, or you're look'n for trouble. Still plug & play, but tuner gives flexability for future upgrades & helps cool the bike running temp down a bit.

All good info here, bottom line is The Epa has mandated the lean conditions we all suffer with, more fuel = more cooling while you can get away with a pipe change( I HAVE) I will be going TFI to add more fuel:s

Back