free website stats program Air Cleaner or Slip Ons First? | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Cleaner or Slip Ons First?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I'm kind of asking this for a friend but he doesn't know it yet.

If you had a 2009 Touring model and had every intention of eventually doing a full Stage I but had to do it one piece at a time for whatever reason, which would you do first. The TFI is already a foregone conclusion so I'm just asking about the air cleaner and some slip ons.

Keep in mind that slip ons are going to run anywhere from 3 to 6 times more $$$ than the air cleaner portion and money is a part of the problem.

If you just did the TFI and a better air cleaner to initially save money, would you notice much of a performance increase? Or do you need to do the entire Stage I to really see a difference?

Thanks for everyone's input!

not really Dr.D more air in needs more fuel, were as the )2 sensor will adapt to just mufflers as this intake is not changing, me i would do slip ons 1st and the get the tfi then its there ready to go when you complete the stage1

OK, but if money prevents you from springing for the slip ons at the present time, is it senseless to do the TFI and A/C now and add the pipes later? Should he just be patient and wait until he can get the A/C and the slip ons together?

As a side note, I put the GEN3 EJK on my stock 2008 FLHX and didn't notice any difference performance wise. Slightly different exhaust note and slightly cooler motor but no noticeable increase in get-up-and-go. I have the HD Stage I A/C and HD SE Performance Slip Ons sitting waiting to be installed so I may be able to answer my own question soon enough. I may do the A/C first and ride it around a bit to see if I notice any difference.

Just as an add on here, you can install the TFI on a completely stock bike, it's just that the settings will be lower. When you add slip ons and iir filter, you just readjust your settings.

You will notice a better running bike with just the TFI.

I put slip-ons and xied's on first, I did not notice a difference in performance, but it did run cooler. I put the TFI and SE Air cleaner on and noticed a big difference in performance. I would do the slip-on's first then the air cleaner and TFI together if possible.

I put slip-ons and xied's on first, I did not notice a difference in performance, but it did run cooler. I put the TFI and SE Air cleaner on and noticed a big difference in performance. I would do the slip-on's first then the air cleaner and TFI together if possible.

I would go with the slip ons first then add the other goodies later to complete the stage one. It will run cooler and sound better. Just my opinion. Sometime it don't count tho.

Because of budget limitations I did:
TFI
Slip-ons
Air cleaner
in that order.

TFI helped right away on the stock bike.If I had to do it again I would go with the TFI first and wait for the others till my budget allowed.

TFI would be 1st for me since the bike is Already too lean from the factory even in stock form. Once that is done can, you can take your time getting the rest of the stage 1.

If you add pipes or A/C first,,, it just makes the bike even more lean which puts even more mental pressure on finishing the job because your burning up the engine.

More fuel first for me.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I didn't make it 100% clear but the TFI is a done deal as far as I know and will be installed first. I'm asking which should be next - A/C or pipes?
Sounds like the concensus is that pipes are far more important.

Also, I might be doing something wrong but I don't think so. I put the GEN3 EJK on my stock bike and really didn't notice any difference in performance. I feel like the other 2 components of the Stage I must be way more important. When I get the chance (tomorrow) I will call Dobeck and another gentleman on here who knows a little about Harleys - bet you can't guess who that is!

Adding a bit of fuel with the TFI would be a plus even with stock pipes and AC.
The pipes add a quick and noticeable wow factor, the deeper sound and feel
The AC depending on the one he wants tops it all off.
Great pipes can be had for under 400 example HD SE fatshotz 364 with discount
In the end when a full stage 1 is done right it all comes together to allow the bike to produce a bit more power, better responce,and many say a much sound.
It will help it run a little cooler and feel more like a HD.
The 2009 can have slipons and ac with no fuel it will adjust, you will get little to no more power till you manage the fuel.

+1 on what Smitty said. This is the route I took with the SG.( pipes then a/c then fuel). The bike adjusted well with no problems or ill effects without fuel being added. Once the TFI was added it was a totally different beast. If he's already got the TFI, the slip-ons should be next. No since in having more air flow with nowhere to go. Plus he will enjoy the sound.:s

Back