free website stats program Air Cleaner Cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Cleaner Cover

sampson80

Currently have the Stage I on my 2011 Heritage, along with the stock air cleaner cover. Was thinking about removing the cover and leaving the air cleaner "open". A) would doing this increase performace at all?, and B) would simply removing the cover create a need for a retuning?

Currently have the Stage I on my 2011 Heritage, along with the stock air cleaner cover. Was thinking about removing the cover and leaving the air cleaner "open". A) would doing this increase performace at all?, and B) would simply removing the cover create a need for a retuning?

A) a little bit.
B) No
C) adding a little more fuel (like a Doebeck TFI) is a good thing.

Isn't adding more fuel considered re-tuning? Also adding more fuel can be done by a mech via the fuel pack that was part of my stage I correct?
WAP.gif

As Breeze suggested, add fuel because you will create a very lean condition on a setup that is lean from the getgo.

If all you have is a stage 1 download you will need more fuel IMO

If you have a stage one air cleaner and all your doing is removing the stock cover it won't make any difference in performance or air flow.

I removed the football cover on my stage I '05 FLSTCI and replaced it with one of those fancy/dancy expensive chrome (plastic chrome) covers. I did not notice any difference in performance or gas mileage. I like the look better and have more comfort room for my right leg. I don't use a rain sock and have not had any performance problems riding in the rain.

First , a couple of questions to you ---- What is your "version" of the stage 1 on the motorcycle? And do you still have the header with the cat in it?

JMO --- If you have all 3 components of the stage 1 and no cat , i.e. ... Free flow A/C , non-stock muffs and a fuel adjusting system be it a fuelpac , Gen 3 or 4 or which ever product out there ..... then , as far as preformance and retuning goes - yes on both. By taking the stock cover off , your increasing air flow so that in turns requires some "tweaking"/ retuning with the fuel adder system. Again JMO here - and I'm not a bike mechanic by no means and personally I wouldnt take the cover off without some sorta sock or less restrictive cover to replace it with due to road debris and such.

Back