free website stats program After the fall now what? | Harley Davidson Forums

After the fall now what?

AZDave

Ok it has been a week and my foot is broken but I will recover, but what about my bike? After the 30 foot skid and almost to a stop she went down on her left side. My Running board drug the asphalt for about a foot. I have very little damage to the bike. It looks like the bracket that mounts the running board to the frame is bent but the board seems fine. My light bar on the left side bent up a little right where the turn signel mounts. I think I can remove the lights and bend the bar back down. I road her home and I think everything else looks ok. What should look for? Could the motor have shifted at all? I know some of you have been where I am now. What would you look at on her? Thanks for the brotherhood.

Dave

It's usually cosmetic damage from a slow fall but notice if the front end seems tweaked when riding straight. The floorboard brackets do take a hit and usually bend as stout as they look.

Hope you recover quick with the broken foot.:s

Thanks Glider, Doc says I can ride again in 6 weeks. Is the flat part of the light bar easy to bend back also the mount for the floorboard or do you usally have to replace them?

Sorry to hear about your foot Dave.Hope it heals up quik for you.

Hopefuly its just cosmetic.Sounds like she went down on the left side.Id take a look at everything around that footboard.Check the shift linkage and arms,jiffy stand and the bottom of the outer primary {had to replace that on my softail because the drain nipple sticks out slightly and got ground down simply from leaning too hard} .Id also remove the bags to make sure no debree got collected.Not uncomon to have pebbles get wedged in the belt guard.

I'd say go over your bike very carefully and look at it from all angles. Have you contacted you insurance?

No Even if I bought a new light bar and bracket for my floor board it would be under my deductible. Thanks for the reply.

Dave; Check your engine guard/crash bar carefully to see if it bent. Just look along the top rail should tell you if it got tweeked. If it did bend, carefully examine the area where the bar mounts to the top of the frame, this triangle of steel often rips if the impact was enough to bend the engine guard. Examine the bike carefully, what I thought was less than my deductable damage, ended up being a $2,000 check. Good luck.

Back