free website stats program After Installation Rider Backrest Question | Harley Davidson Forums

After Installation Rider Backrest Question

Haywire

I installed the adjustable rider backrest last night on my 06 Ultra Classic (Installations instructions leave a lot to be desired)

My question is:
After I got it installed and I put the backrest down into the mounting bracket the lowest adjustment down on the rider pad leaves a gap of about 1 inch between the pad and the seat. Is this normal???
Viewing pictures of bikes with these it looked like to me that the rider backrest pad could be lowered right down to the seat.
Just curious.

Haywire; Maybe the pic's you saw were of the "other" adjustable backrest. Mine is adj. up and down, but not fore and aft with the button. In the lowest position, mine does actually go into the slot about 1/2". Two guys I rode with last weekend had adj. fore/aft backrests and I noticed thiers were a little higher, but I didn't ask them if they were in the lowest position.

If you feel around for it there should be a button in the back of the pad itself, under the leather, that you can push in and get some adjustment up and down of the backrest pad. Others have drilled new holes in the metal bar that inserts into the lower bracket to get the pad height right where they want it.

If you feel around for it there should be a button in the back of the pad itself, under the leather, that you can push in and get some adjustment up and down of the backrest pad. Others have drilled new holes in the metal bar that inserts into the lower bracket to get the pad height right where they want it.

Dr

I have it in the bottom hole as low as it will go stock.
I was just wondering if this was a normal thing having 1 inch in between the pad and the seat.

I will take a look when I get home from work and see if I can drill it so it will go lower.

More about the look of it than it actually being a problem.:s

Dr

I have it in the bottom hole as low as it will go stock.
I was just wondering if this was a normal thing having 1 inch in between the pad and the seat.

I will take a look when I get home from work and see if I can drill it so it will go lower.

More about the look of it than it actually being a problem.:s

Like you say, you're not going to affect its function at all, just the way it looks. In fact, if you lower it to the point where it touches the seat, you may not be able to pivot it forward for ease of mounting/dismounting. Plus it's supposed to rest against your lower back, not your butt. I guess my point is I like it just fine the way it is stock. But if you're not happy with it, alter away!

As long as the backrest is locked into the bracket the lowest setting on mine leaves it up off the seat a bit. I have it on the top notch and like it.

Thanks for the info guys.
If that is the way it is suppose to be I am fine with that.
Now to ride and see how I like it..

I had the rest that went up & down on 93 i replaced the adj, screw w/ longer one by 1/4 inch made a big difference to me..more angle if it does not angle enough forward it can be changed..

I drilled two extra holes in mine (below the stock holes) to raise it up. It was cutting into my wife's legs. She really doesn't like it on there when were two up anyway. I'm sure you could drill above the stock holes to lower it. But using the stock holes it will be above the seat and inch or so.

Back