free website stats program After a ride I can't restart it? | Harley Davidson Forums

After a ride I can't restart it?

Coyote25etoyotC

Hello everyone -

I go for a ride and turn off the engine and I can't get it to restart. The engine just turns over and nothing. Any ideas of what part of the charging system it could be, and how can I find the problem?

Thanks for your time,
Coyote

how can I find the problem?

So what do you finally have to do in order to get it started. Wait till the engine cools? Push start it? Jumper it using another battery? Use starter fluid?

If carb engine, there may be no built in diagnostics on a 2001 Sportster. Carry a spare spark plug (with a gap at .050") with you and the next time the bike wont start, check for visual spark using your spare plug. Assuming it is not a model 1200S (2 plugs per cylinder), manually checking the engine for spark will tell you alot about the root problem you have.

What's the mileage on bike. Once running, are there any performance issues with the bike.
A little info will quickly help narrow down the problem from 12 possibilities to 2.

I don't have a computer diagnotic tool that would identify a code thrown, nor have I had it checked professionally - The engine will turn over normally... not slowly. Now after the bike cools completely it will start no problem. It is running good while it is running, except the last time I rode it it turned off while riding and I wasn't able to start it until the bike was entirely cool.
Thanks for your time

The bike is a 2001 1200 Custom - I will check the spark manually with the third plug and let you know - mileage on the bike is 26,000 - once running there is no performace issues on the bike - however the last time I rode it the bike turned off while I was riding it and wouldn't start until completely cooled -

thanks for your time

The bike is a 2001 1200 Custom - I will check the spark manually with the third plug and let you know - mileage on the bike is 26,000 - once running there is no performace issues on the bike - however the last time I rode it the bike turned off while I was riding it and wouldn't start until completely cooled -

thanks for your time

This could be an ignition module problem

As Jack has said ignition module breaking down when hot if you carry some canned air with you next time it fails to start open the ignition module cover and spray the ignition module with the air as the air comes out cold it will cool the ignition module if the bike then starts you have confirmed the faulty part

Brian

I agree with both Jack and Brian.
According to the schematics, the 2001 1200 (non S model) shows the ignition module and cam trigger unit as 1 complete assembly.
It's very remote, but the only other item it could be is the bank angle sensor but that would be a 1 in 50 chance.

My money is on the "integral timing plate/ ignition control module" having a thermal issue. I am sure you won't have spark if you were to test it. Chill spray would just about prove it.

Back