free website stats program aerated oil | Harley Davidson Forums

aerated oil

bc45

Today while riding agressivly through the twisty's on my 2012 Heritage the oil light came on (OIL WAS FULL) but it was aerated bad, I am using H.D. Syn 3let it sit for aprox 1 min untill it de foamed and started it and oil light was off and stayed off the rest of the ride 130miles. Only thing I can think off is that either the oil sloshing back and forth in the tank caused it to aerate or the oil pick up line was uncovered due to the oil sloshing back and forth dont know that that can happen with the oil pick up line. Never had this problem with My Ultra but the oil is down in the pan not in a tank mounted on the frame. Any one had this problem or heard of it? Any other Ideas?
Thanks bob

Hmmm...guess it could be a possibility - wouldn't rule it out. On the good side, your bike's under warranty so might be good to take in for a looksee. Could be something blocking one of the portals, or just fluke deal??

How old is the oil (miles)?

What was the air temperature on this ride? Is it possible it was cold enough to form some ice in the oil blocking the oil feed or return?

There will always be air mixed with the oil after it has just been through the engine, but not much you can do about it. You will never get enough foaming in the system to cause a low oil pressure reading. The oil is picked up from the bottom of the tank or pan, so even if you are seeing foam in the tank, the oil is fine down by the pickup area.

Any milky white goop in the tank is caused by condensation, you will usually see it around the oil filler area, in the winter.

Sloshing around in the tank will not cause any problems with foaming.

Avoid additives.

The oil light may be a sending unit issue, or a bad connection.

There will always be air mixed with the oil after it has just been through the engine, but not much you can do about it. You will never get enough foaming in the system to cause a low oil pressure reading. The oil is picked up from the bottom of the tank or pan, so even if you are seeing foam in the tank, the oil is fine down by the pickup area.

Any milky white goop in the tank is caused by condensation, you will usually see it around the oil filler area, in the winter.

Avoid additives.

+1 on this post. I'm also wondering if the air is coming from inside of the oil tank itself. The oil return line to the tank is right at the bend in the horseshoe design of the tank. If the returning oil is splashed against the backside of the tank I would think it would pick up some air as it settles.

I'm not a fan of the "idiot" lights, that's why I got one of these....
Chrome Oil Pressure Trim Kit Twin Cam Low Pro - Jerzee Customs

+1 on this post. I'm also wondering if the air is coming from inside of the oil tank itself. The oil return line to the tank is right at the bend in the horseshoe design of the tank. If the returning oil is splashed against the backside of the tank I would think it would pick up some air as it settles.

I'm not a fan of the "idiot" lights, that's why I got one of these....
Chrome Oil Pressure Trim Kit Twin Cam Low Pro - Jerzee Customs

:s Not a big fan of idiot lights either, BUT that red light will catch your eye fast, Just sayin:s

:s Not a big fan of idiot lights either, BUT that red light will catch your eye fast, Just sayin:s

I have always thought that a bright warning light was the first line of defense for low oil pressure, the light will get your attention.

As soon as there is a problem you will know it, even if you are not looking at the dash/gage. And if the oil pressure gage is not mounted where you can glance down at it easily, it is nothing but a cool looking doodad...:D

Well if this were an automotive forum I might say that you had a coolant (anti freeze) leak into your oil passages. But obviously that is not the situation here. :s

Oil is designed with anti-foaming properties. Sticking with the same line of thinking of something getting into the oil that might be causing this, are you by any chance using an additive? See the below Self Help Tip on oil additives causing foaming.

Harley Davidson Community

One other possibility is that you washed the bike and water got into the oil tank because of a loose oil cap on the tank.

Condensation will also build up in the winter if short rides are more the case. See this Tip about oil condensation issues from short distance winter riding.

Harley Davidson Community
No oil additives, It was deffinately air not water or condisation that was causing it to be foamy I watched as all the bubbles settled, when they did re started and oil light was off.

What was the air temperature on this ride? Is it possible it was cold enough to form some ice in the oil blocking the oil feed or return?

Possable air temp was around 36 to 38 ambient so with 50mph ait comming across tank and lines I gues it could be possable

Avoid additives.

No milky white just, full of bubbles. Possable oil pick up line sucked air due to hard decel into and hard accel out of corners I was riding verry hard and agressivly keeping up with my friend who was on a KTM adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back