free website stats program advice | Harley Davidson Forums

advice

tdj45

bought a 06 flhti. All i am hereing is cam tensioners. The bike had 17,400 miles when i bought it now has 20,000 miles. don't know if anything has been done. could use some good advice on what to do.

If you don't know the history of the bike, get a mechanic who knows HD's, dealer or indpendent shop to go over the bike. This time of year you can work some deals.
If you are mechanicaly inclined, get a HARLEY FACTORY shop manual, about 60$, and check it out yourself.
Repalcing the cam tensioners is a heck of a lot cheaper than trashing the engine with bits of plastic from worn cam tension shoes.
There are a ton of links on the site, check the help and tips header.

Yes, definitely get the bike checked/serviced. Would be nice if previous owner(s) transferred maint history w/their bikes. I always document performed service & include all invoices/receipts w/the m/c when I transfer to the dealer/new owner. Just a courtesy, but one I like passing along...just wish it would happen more often when I buy used.:wall

In your case, this EG has low miles & it's not the type of bike people would beat down the drag strip. Still best to get it assessed & serviced - especially during the slower winter months so you're ready when full-up riding season hits. Good Luck!

thanks!!!

If you have the money ???

I would consider CHANGING out the OLD style cam chain/oil pump/cam support plate : going with the newer style Hydraulic tensioners AND ANY thing else NEEDED at this time.... (cams)(rid the INA bearings in the (engine) cam case if NOT already TORRINGTONs)..........

The NEW KIT for FULL conversion is available from HD#25284-08 @$429.95 and It would bring your bike to a better(longer lasting) quality machine...... The newer system came standard on 07/2010 big bikes...MUCH NEEDED IMPROVEMENT....

If you plan to KEEP the bike I would not hesitate to do this modification! (!)
and the MODS for a little more torque while it is apart..

signed....BUBBIE

The newer system came standard on 07/2010 big bikes...MUCH NEEDED IMPROVEMENT....

Does that mean it was standard on 2007-2010? I have the 09 ultra and wonder should I be concerned some day.

The newer system came standard on 07/2010 big bikes...MUCH NEEDED IMPROVEMENT....

Does that mean it was standard on 2007-2010? I have the 09 ultra and wonder should I be concerned some day.

NO, you have the new style hydraulic plate in yours.

I agree 100% with Bubbie. I had my 03 upgraded and it made a whole new bike out of it. Where it sounded like a case full of rocks is now quiet as it should be.

Back