free website stats program Advice needed | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice needed

Rick-e

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to pop for a 95 FLSTN with about 25K mi. I've owned other bikes the last being a 71 Guzzi. I have NO experience with H-D's other than listening to a buddy complain about his AMF sporty back in the day.

What maintenance items should I be looking for in a 15 year old bike with 20something thousand miles? I'm pretty sure it's been well cared for and it had some performance mods done at about 11k mi, shaved heads, polished ports, and a few other goodies that escape me.

any advice appreciated.

With any mods, it's important to know if they were done correctly and the bike runs well with no problems. Some people do performance work on motors and have problems with them like pinging after the mods are done due to a higher compression ratio and thus the reason for selling in some cases because they have created a problem motor. Best to find something that hasn't been worked over and enjoy it.

JMO.

The base gaskets at the bottom of the cylinders where they join on to the case was a problem in the EVO motors.

Thanks Glider,
Assuming for a moment that the mods are not a problem, what are some other issues I should look for? What is the lifespan of the drive belt, primary chain/belt, clutch, etc. ?

I've known the seller for quite a few years and a mutual friend who knows the bike well has suggested that it might be a good bike for me. I'm just trying to do my homework here.

Thanks Glider,
Assuming for a moment that the mods are not a problem, what are some other issues I should look for? What is the lifespan of the drive belt, primary chain/belt, clutch, etc. ?

I've known the seller for quite a few years and a mutual friend who knows the bike well has suggested that it might be a good bike for me. I'm just trying to do my homework here.

The things you mention above are wear related items and depend on how the bike was ridden and maintained. No clear answer on any of them without knowing how the bike was ridden/maintained. Only true way of telling is to open the primary inspection plate, give it a sniff and check tension on the chain .
General condition of the drive belt and the pulleys too would give you an indication of their life span and if there are anything embedded in the belt itself which would require replacement then. As mentioned above, inspect the cylinder base gaskets for oil sweating or leakage and the rocker box gaskets for the same. Listen to the motor and see if there is any lifter noises and inspect all the gaskets at the sealing surfaces for leakage. Tire condition and general overall condition should give you a pretty good idea of the overall condition.

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to pop for a 95 FLSTN with about 25K mi. I've owned other bikes the last being a 71 Guzzi. I have NO experience with H-D's other than listening to a buddy complain about his AMF sporty back in the day.

What maintenance items should I be looking for in a 15 year old bike with 20something thousand miles? I'm pretty sure it's been well cared for and it had some performance mods done at about 11k mi, shaved heads, polished ports, and a few other goodies that escape me.
any advice appreciated.

Rick-e,
Welcome to the Best!

The EVO was and Is a fine bike. 25,000 not much if in good shape.Can you share the asking price with us?

I would rather of not heard of shaved heads(short cuts) Why you ask... I built a few big motors for my bikes the right way, never needed to shave heads but would use higher compression pistons... Why again? Twisting the right wrist is one. Just a thought. He may have thought that also. Not a bad thing but can have placed a little more strain on the total bike.

Personally when buying a used bike, I would like a stock, stock-motor one. But who knows even then?

I owned a 97 fxds and loved the EVO. I put a few more miles on that bike big built motor (47,000) then sold it to a friend and it is still out there today..

I would look at the normal things like, Records kept if any. Oil condition,asked about engine oil consumption. then check to see if the plugs are of a good color and static compression test, if even in each cyl.and holding.
Taking oil pressure on the bike from a pressure gauge would also be smart... idle, 8 lbs min and at 2000 rpm's 32+ on warm engine perfered.

Take it out and listen to the More noise than you are used to but no Knocking or metal to metal sounds.. smooth running and easy full shift without a bumpppp or grind.

Clutch check i use,
In third gear, while running at a normal speed (35 will do) Pull in clutch quickly and let motor rev and release clutch then hit the throttle quickly to see if clutch drags engine rpm''s right down. If it does, it is not slipping. Motor speed should immediately go back to normal and pull away smoothly.. Careful please.

Ask when all fluids were changed (mileage) and what type and brand in each hole (3), engine oil And Filter type (HD best) chaincase oil ? tranny oil used? If dino oils or full synthetics?

The steering head bearings for Play-looseness.(grab handlebars and pull-push-turn side to side) grab and hold front brake on and Pull up-down-forward-back, feeling for smooth and no noise? If any movement it may need work or adjustment along with grease or new head bearings.

rear tire and belt this a big-e : the belt condition and adjustment.. If you can lift or roll bike to inspect the belt tracking on the rear pulley rolling tire forward seeing the belt does not Look worn of frayed(edges) or any Old-new rock holes in it. The belt should look Smooth and show no problems of breakage or cracks on the top and inside , all the lugs there and not damaged.
If belt is bad, needing to be replaced, doing work out in a shop will nail about 500$ ...
The battery condition and how old. When was the new one put in the bike?

If you are able to check the condition of the voltage system, battery, stator voltage/amps would be a good check also.

Visually, is the paint Perfect? and chrome with no rust? The frame-sides bottom edges show and Skidding marks? all the gauges and spedo & tac if one, work..

Condition of brake system and pads?

Now this is just a "jumble" of things i would think of to check. no order either,My head hurts but better than the wallet....
Better to know Now than to Pay later.

If possible, and you don't know how to perform enough of these checks, I would find a shop with the mechanic that could perform the evaluation of bike for you....

Good luck and ride safe. more than enough for now... try some, none or all.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Glider and BUBBIE!
Lots of good info here. By all appearances, the bike has been very well cared for and there is no evidence of abuse. Price is $10K.

If I make the deal, I'll take it to a shop and have it checked out first.

Thanks Glider and BUBBIE!
Lots of good info here. By all appearances, the bike has been very well cared for and there is no evidence of abuse. Price is $10K.

If I make the deal, I'll take it to a shop and have it checked out first.

Very Wise!!!!

bubbie

I had a chance a couple years ago to buy a neighbor/friend's 2004 Road King. I knew it was well taken care of and it had a couple extras I really liked. The decision not to buy it came down primarily to two things:

1) Since we live right across the street from each other, I couldn't help thinking that I would always think of it as "his" bike and he would always think of it as "his" bike, too.

2) If something unforeseen were to go wrong with the bike shortly after the sale, I'm not sure if he or I would actually feel worse. I just didn't think it was worth risking our friendship over a motorcycle purchase.

Besides, it gave me an excuse to go out and buy the new Street Glide!

Just some things to think about depending on how close the two of you are.

I had a chance a couple years ago to buy a neighbor/friend's 2004 Road King. I knew it was well taken care of and it had a couple extras I really liked. The decision not to buy it came down primarily to two things:

1) Since we live right across the street from each other, I couldn't help thinking that I would always think of it as "his" bike and he would always think of it as "his" bike, too.

2) If something unforeseen were to go wrong with the bike shortly after the sale, I'm not sure if he or I would actually feel worse. I just didn't think it was worth risking our friendship over a motorcycle purchase.

Besides, it gave me an excuse to go out and buy the new Street Glide!

Just some things to think about depending on how close the two of you are.
Not close enough for that to be an issue, I'm looking at this as a buisness decision.

KBB which is used as a guide for purchasing anything shows this...

1995 Harley-Davidson FLSTN Heritage Softail Special Value

May 6, 2010

• 2-Cylinders
  • 4-Stroke
  • 1340cc

Suggested Retail Value $9875

Back