free website stats program Advice Needed for Dyna wideglide mods | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice Needed for Dyna wideglide mods

tonewuk

Hi This is my first post.
Anyway i am looking for a new bike and i quite fancy a wide glide.But i want to modify to my requirements.
I dont want forward controls.i want to fit mids.
I want to fit fatboy wheels front and rear.Or two rear fatboy wheels.
The forks i want to extend by 4 inches.
Also minor mods like change the bars to 12 inch Tees.
Could anyone forsee any major problems.
tone

Hi This is my first post.
Anyway i am looking for a new bike and i quite fancy a wide glide.But i want to modify to my requirements.
I dont want forward controls.i want to fit mids.
I want to fit fatboy wheels front and rear.Or two rear fatboy wheels.
The forks i want to extend by 4 inches.
Also minor mods like change the bars to 12 inch Tees.
Could anyone forsee any major problems.
tone

You should be able to swap with someone that wants the forward controls in a heartbeat.

The wheels should go as long as they are from the right year FB with the same size axles.

The WG already has 2" over on the front forks (41MM) also.

Bars should be easy but the cables may be too long depending on the rise of the new bars.

You may want to start looking into a Fat Bob. You may have some fit issues with what you want to do.

Irish Hog

Get yourself over to what was Chapel ash and have a word with the parts guys.
you do not say what year wide glide but almost anything is possible i have seen fatboy wheels on Heritage softails, and vice versa, you just need to ensure you get the correct wheel fitting kit for the year and axle size.
swapping out for mids is as Glider said.
changing the forks for 4" overs will lift the front and could give you negative trail making the bike handle badly are you raking the front further?
if you are doing that check out AME for there chopper kits - tuv approved and come with the extended fork tubes, othere than that you will need to speak to APE in london for the overs and they are not Cheap when i last looked it was in the region of £1000

The idea of the longer forks is to make up the size difference in the wheels.
From a 21 to a 16.
I dont want to rake it out to much,with a bit of sag it wont be far off.
Had a quote for fork tubes.Around £200.

Check your outer diameter on the two size wheels, I don't think there will be a great difference between them. I went from a 21 to a 19 on a WG and the outer diameter was only about 3/8" difference at best.

Back