free website stats program Adjusting preload shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjusting preload shocks

wyndemuir

Hi everyone....i'm a new sportster owner and have a 2009 XL883C. I want to adjust the load on my shocks and read the manual cover to cover and can't find what I'm looking for. I know how to adjust them, my problem is I can't find the wrench. Now this could very well be a dumb question, but is there a storage spot on the bike for a tool kit that contains the wrench? I had a Honda shadow prior to this bike and it had a tool kit with the wrench in it.

Welcome,

The Best wrench is a simple spanner type and harley does carry (sell) them. I would get the simple single spanner, nothing needed like the fancy double plier style on a pin hinge... keep it simple:D

There is No place on the newer bikes but IF you buy a "Scream'n Eagle front fork bag", that will give you good results,,,,, They are perfect for a sportster and enough room for your legals inside and a good amount of small tools, like the spanner wrench, tyre gauge, small adjustable wrench, pliers, assorted screw-drivers and a lot more.

The fit is perfect under the head light on my 1200 sport R. and should fit yours also.

signed....BUBBIE

As you may now have worked out most Harley bikes come without a tool kit and no place to store tools although there are add on's for some models i have a simple fork bag on each of my bikes with what i think is essential tools however i usually find i do not have what i need on the road

Brian

Even on the tool kits I've had there wasn't a shock adjuster. Just a tiny pair of pliers, a screwdriver you piece together and maybe the goofy tool that you could take a spark plug out with. Kind of put out of business by the leatherman.

Hi everyone....i'm a new sportster owner and have a 2009 XL883C. I want to adjust the load on my shocks and read the manual cover to cover and can't find what I'm looking for. I know how to adjust them, my problem is I can't find the wrench. Now this could very well be a dumb question, but is there a storage spot on the bike for a tool kit that contains the wrench? I had a Honda shadow prior to this bike and it had a tool kit with the wrench in it.

Welcome to The Forum Shock Adjustment Spanner | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA
have a look here this is what Bubbie and the rest are talking about

As you may now have worked out most Harley bikes come without a tool kit and no place to store tools although there are add on's for some models i have a simple fork bag on each of my bikes with what i think is essential tools however i usually find i do not have what i need on the road

Brian

BRIAN,

IF you are like ME,,,You need a TRAILER to satisfy the needs while out on the road.:newsmile100:

I only mentioned the Scream'nEagle front fork pouch, as I moved it from the dyna to the sportster I own.... :D:D:D

Don't Let HD Know this, or they will raise their 50$ US price on it.... :small3d031:

signed....BUBBIE

I think i would need to tow the whole workshop and then i would still be missing whatever i needed
However i always seem to find a way round the wee issues that crop up when away from home

Brian

Thanx for all the ideas........knew this was the right place to ask. I do have a pouch I can put on the forks.....or on the back of the license plate bracket

I made my own because I'm too cheap to buy one! I had some metal plates that are 1/8" thick and cut out the shape of the tool with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade.
Works fine.

Back