free website stats program Adding Miles | Harley Davidson Forums

Adding Miles

Ste_P

Hi All, i'm a newbie here and reside in sunny CA. I have what I feel should be a simple question....
With the vehicle speed sensor being mounted on the engine block and sensing from the drive shaft, if I remove the rear wheel drive belt and run the engine in gear - will it sense speed and add miles to the clock?
Reason: My friend bought a 2017 HD Touring out of state and silly CA laws say you need to have 7500 miles on the clock to register it. The mileage is stored in the ECU / ECM,so I don't believe just switching out the clock for one with higher miles won't work and with his work commitments, he hasn't got the time to ride them on in the two weeks he has to register the bike so we are looking for other ways to put them on quickly....
Any answers will be gratefully received!
Best regards
Steve

Have you given any thought about how your going to cool the engine while it sets in 1 place running? JMHO this is not a very bright idea.

Have you given any thought about how your going to cool the engine while it sets in 1 place running? JMHO this is not a very bright idea.
First and foremost I just wanted to confirm that with the rear wheel drive belt off, the engine running and in gear - the vehicle speed sensor on the engine would actually register MPH and add miles to the odometer....

I’m not sure if that will work or not but as far as the law you stated I’d do a little more research, what you said about CA law makes no sense at all. Why would you have to have X amount of miles on a motorcycle or any other motor vehicle brfore your allowed to register it with the state. I have never heard of such a thing.

Your friend will have to run it through the emissions test But the amount of miles on it should have nothing to do with titling it.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if that will work or not but as far as the law you stated I’d do a little more research, what you said about CA law makes no sense at all. Why would you have to have X amount of miles on a motorcycle or any other motor vehicle brfore your allowed to register it with the state. I have never heard of such a thing.

Your friend will have to run it through the emissions test But the amount of miles on it should have nothing to do with titling it.
Yep, unfortunately - that I am certain on.... Anything that has less than 7500 miles is considered a brand new vehicle here in CA. All brand new vehicles must be CA emissions compliant and be stickered as such. A vehicle bought out of state with over 7500 miles which isn't CA compliant is fine but less than 7500 miles and you are doomed, you can't register it.
The law is an (EDIT).

Last edited by a moderator:
What your friend needs to do is take the motorcycle to a emissions testing site in CA along with the bill of sale showing he is the owner. After it's tested and meets the CA emissions standards the MC now qualifies to be titled in your state.
This is no different than when you have to renew the plates, emissions test then go to the DMV and get your plates.

Welcome from So. Texas. I would think your test w/back tire up would work. Probably better in a higher gear.
Be sure you have plenty of fan to cool it though. The VSS in on the tranny though, not the motor.
tourbox

Back