free website stats program Adding a new air cleaner and pipes. | Harley Davidson Forums

Adding a new air cleaner and pipes.

kosmos58

Hello,

I have a new 2012 FLSTC and want to replace the stock air cleaner. I am thinking of the HD Heavy Breather. Not sure what to do about the stock mufflers but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kosmos58

Stage 1 on my FLS (2012 Slim)

Vance & Hines StraightShots HS #16833
Vance & Hines Quiet Baffles #21869
Vance & Hines LCD FuelPak #61017
SE High Flow Air Cleaner #29773-02C

phil_r-albums-phil_r+softail+slim-picture8347-stage1_03.jpg

Phil,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Are those pipes really loud? I had a set of Python pipes on a 05 Ultra and I want to tone the noise down a bit.

It has a good Harley sound (with quiet baffle) at idle and when you roll on
the throttle. I idle down the lime-rock grade (under 2000 RPM) to keep peace
with the neighbors. Short-shift in residential areas to keep the sound down to
a nice rumble. The quiet baffles seem to have about the same volume of sound as standard baffles, just without the rasp.

The wife has horses, neighbors have a variety of farm animals, none are frightened by the sound. Wife says the pipes are noticeable, but not loud. This is a rural area, sonic booms don't set off any car alarms, so not stampeding the herd of sheep next door is my sound barometer.

Where the quiet baffles shine is at cruising speed, 65 MPH and up in 6th.
gear. At a steady throttle, you can hear the exhaust, but it is no louder than
the wind noise, or mechanical sound of the engine. So... sounds great at idle
and when you accelerate through the gears, but quiet enough at cruising speed to travel without the noise wearing you out. The quiet baffles will let you be quiet, they don’t make you quiet.

May I make the suggestion if you add slip ons and a free flowing air cleaner, you will want to also add a fueler of sorts to avoid lean running conditions, most folks have gone with the Dobeck unit.

Hey man! Good to see a fellow Vermonter here. Let me tell you what I just did to my 2012 FLSTC. Started out with Rush 2.5" slipons and the SE air cleaner. Not satisfied at all! Not any louder than stock and less power than my 96" 2008. You gotta get rid of the Cat Converters in the head pipe. I had Wilkins get me a set of Rush 2 to 1 pipes and dyno it with the SE Race tuner. Its a totally different bike! Idles @ 960 rpm and has that nice harley rumble now. I got the 2" baffle so its not overly loud. Sounds great and people can deffinatly hear you coming but I can still talk to my ol on the back. Just my 2 cents.
Later.
Steve

Back