free website stats program Accidentally Cured Decel Popping | Harley Davidson Forums

Accidentally Cured Decel Popping

SoonerSoftail

From the beginning. When I bought my Heritage a couple of months ago it had an Arlen Ness Big Sucker intake and Supertrapp Mean Mothers Shorts with no baffles in them. On the 90 mile ride home the exhaust in general was annoyingly loud and the popping in between gears and on decel was terrible. First thing the next morning I put in a set of Khrome Werks HP-Plus baffles. Much quieter. But popping was still there, just muffled. Next came a thorough leak search on the intake and exhaust, a Sea Foam treatment, new plugs, new wires, new exhaust gaskets even though the old ones seemed ok, and finally a PCV tuner. All of the above made for a great running, but still popping Heritage.

Last week I found a set of turn-down ends for my pipes on ebay. They add about five inches and turn -down about 45 degrees. I had been watching for some because I think the pipes were too short and would look better the five inches that the turn-down ends add. I put them on and have ridden to work twice with them. The popping is about 90% gone. None between gears at all. From fairly high revs to closed or almost closed throttle, such as on an exit ramp or a light turning red I get a little bit of a crackly rumble. That's OK. I kind of like it. I would have never guessed that just making the pipes a few inches longer would make any difference.:bigsmiley24:

I had that problem with my Ultra Classic and it took me 3 months to get it fixed. Wish it would have been that easy. But hey, congrats, I know mine drove me crazy and was annoying as heck.

Don't really know, They kept telling me it was a tuning issue, or the way I rode the bike, or it's normal with all the motor work, so I sent it to another shop, guy did a full dyno, said that something else was going on, so I also had a problem with the bike stalling, so I went back to the original dealer, kind of called them out on the problem, got the G.M. involved, who rode the bike, I called them the next day because I left it, was told there were no problems, but they wanted to put a new set of shocks on it for me, pick it up Fri., called on a Tuesday, so I go get the bike, drive it home, no stalling, no popping, so who knows. I think that they cleaned the IAC personally, but I went ahead and replaced it, I have put about 800 miles on it since then, and I have no issues anymore. My salesman told me that they would not admit to a problem or let me know what the issue was. I really wish I knew because it was a really hard problem to fix. But everything seemed to point to the IAC. But like I said, I have no more problems. :34:

Back