free website stats program Abs light | Harley Davidson Forums

Abs light

Have 2011 FLHTK brake pads very worn, plan on changing tomorrow. Tonight on ride home ABS light came on and stayed lit last 3 4 miles. My question is will badly wore brake pads cause ABS light to fire up, should it go out after replacing brakes, should I look elsewhere for another problem. All input appreciated.

I know on a car the light can activate when the pads get worn to a certain point so I would think a motorcycle might do it as well. I believe it has to do with pedal travel.

Last edited:
Could be a whole bunch of reasons. Faulty corroded connection (rust), bad module, bad sensors, sticking piston due to pad dust, needs to be reflashed ETC.

FWIW, I've replaced metal on metal with ABS in cars, never threw any light. Not sure how many starts are stored in HD. After your install if it were mine I'd still take it in to see what code is. Not saying a pad slap and a good cleaning couldn't fix your problem either :D

My post was based on personal experience but then again it was hard braking in a car and there was nothing left of the brakes or rotors. As gotnitro said it could be a number of things causing your issue. Did you check for codes?

My post was based on personal experience but then again it was hard braking in a car and there was nothing left of the brakes or rotors. As gotnitro said it could be a number of things causing your issue. Did you check for codes?

Sorry, my post reads a little J/O.. No disrespect to you:D

It possible that dirt has gotten on sensor and causing system to drop out. Check codes and you may find just a one time momentary glitch....

What about the all to common broken rear brake switch? Is the 2011 included in the recall? I suppose this could be a possible cause to your problem (amongst 100 other possibilities)...

Back