free website stats program About to pull my hair out!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

About to pull my hair out!!!!

I am working on a 2000 Road King. The bike originally had the "large" module which puts the turn signals and brake lights on the same circuits. After buying a trailer and coming home from Missouri we lost the brake lights. Found out that the module burnt out. In the process of buying a new one we learned that the "large" module has been replaced with a "small" module which turns on the rear signal lights into taillights along with brakes and turn signals. We have burnt 2 of them up and a number of fuses. The trailer has 4 clearance lights, 2 rear taillights and 2 turn/brake lights and also a tour pack with brake,turn and running lights. We took some of the load off the accessory fuse and put it on another circuit by removing the blue wire at the connector under the seat and hooking it to the orange wire that the directions say to do. I also took the running lights off the module and put them on a relay triggered by the module. I have app 10 amps on the 2 circuits and 5 amps on the relay circuit. After doing all this we stilled burned out the module but did not blow any fuses. Everything worked fine with the old "large" module but the parts people who have heard of it say you can no longer get it. Any help would greatly be appreciated

The modules regardless of their functions run very hot by design due to the fact they are basically a resistor to trick the TSSM or TSM. I prefer to use a bosch type relay and run the extra lights off that instead of through the module.
The additional think I don't like about the module setups is that the running lights are very bright in comparison to hard wired units and difficult to distinguish from the brake lights when following a bike that is running the module. I have a buddy that ran the module you describe and I didn't like to ride behind him because of this.
I added bullet lights from a deuce for visibility to the rear of my RK and wired them into the running and brake lights under the seat to function like the stock tail light being the rear light on mine was run through a relay , there was no problems with modules at all.

bike022R.jpg

Thanks glider, I think the biggest problem is the trailer. Its is putting too much load on the module. Is there anything else I can use except the harley module or do you know where I might be able to find a "large" module?

Back