free website stats program A true novice windshield ? | Harley Davidson Forums

A true novice windshield ?

I bought this 01 Night Train Custom (FXSTBI) last August and loved it's naked look. Am riding now much more than I thought I would and have decided I gotta have a windshield. (I'm old).
I have a J&P catalog but don't want to order the wrong thing. The handlebars are short so not much (if any) room to clamp anything on there. Can anyone guide me as to what hardware and/or moderately priced medium heighth windshield to go for? I want to be able to see over the top.
Thanks much, Doug

Doug; There's so many to choose from, and each person has different preferences. The thing I want to suggest is that you get a fork mounted windshield. The ones that have braces/brackets that attach to the handlebars, just don't look right on a Harley (I've had them). The fork mounted ones cost more, but IMO well worth it. You might also be interested in a quick detach shield. Good luck.

Doug,

Just picked up one from memphis shades after some research here. Google their website. Very informative and pretty good selection.

Windshields are like pipes. There are so many to choose from and one person will rave about one given model and the next person will complain about the very same make and model. Wind buffing from underneath, some from over top. Some do nothing. And I couldn't determine if one would be better than another. Price point doesn't appear to make a difference.

I chose the memphis shades because they were a lot cheaper than HD. I haven't got a lot of time with it yet but, so far, it's done a pretty good job.

Mine is the Del Rio.

Thanks guys. The Memphis Shades are one of the brands they have in J&P. I will check out their website and avoid the handlebar mount ones. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either so maybe go that route. Hopefully, the hardware will be easy to figure out.

BTW Breeze, oddly enough, Warner Robins has a special place in my heart. Served with a friend, David Bryant in VN from there who didn't make it home. Still in contact with his cousin from your town.
Thanks again, Doug

1+ on what Breeze said, I like the combination of rugged fork mounted windscreen (I have the HD quick detach)...though I hardly ever take it off (I'm a "BIT" old too). It has the "right" amount of stainless/chrome trim mounting hardware, with durable and scratch resistant Lexan...JMO, as the options are virtually endless.

I ride where we have lots of wind gusts and wish I purchased a smaller wind screen. My full size Harley detachable one acts just like a big sail on my Fatboy. I have "changed lanes" on more than one occasion when a big one hit me. Wind screens are great, my advice is to get the smallest one that works for you. This is not a case of "bigger is better". Cheers!

Interesting Red, thanks for chiming in. Never dawned on me that could be the case that bigger IS NOT better. Makes my decision easier. The Windvest looks to be a nice choice. Thanks guys, Doug

My Harley guy sold and installed the Memphis Del Rio for the same price as J&P advertised. I LOVE IT!! No wind getting under my glasses at either 65MPH or 95MPH. I can see my instruments clearly! (Had to test it at high speed once).

Rode home in the dark last night and got hit by a glancing blow off my forehead by a bird! Never had that happen before. Startled me more than it hurt but without the windshield, I think I would have taken him right in the mouth! Extremely happy and will never ride without one again!
Thanks for all the input! Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 2010 FatBoy, I just took off the standard size windshield and replaced it with a 14"x14" WindVest. Neat as all get out. You kinda feel like your riding "in the wind" but with NO bugs hitting yor face. And looks ALOT better to me.
I'm still working on posting pics of my new bike.
wilks3

Back