free website stats program A new twist on bike winterizing | Harley Davidson Forums

A new twist on bike winterizing

For many years now the autobody industry has been using a sprayed on liquid mask to protect vehicles from overspray and unwanted filth on customers cars.Last weekend I descided to try it on my bike as a protective film for winter.I must say Im very happy with the results.
The product is simply sprayed on using any cheap automotive spray gun.It dries to a soft eggshell and completely seals anything it encoumpases.A barrier coat to protect against moisture,condensation and that unfortunate gentle rub.It will not harm anything on your scoot.
To remove it simply hose it off.Completely water soluable.Its like having a bike bubble without the bubble.

3M Overspray Masking Liquid Dry - 06847

What he said.... ^

If you have an environment that you have comlplete control over...such as temperature and humidity, then this stuff might work but at like $36 bucks a gallon, thats too rich for my blood....not only that, but I dont winterize anyway......

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

I'm no chemist, but I can't see a water-soluble product keeping moisture out or remaining intact as the season progresses in an unheated garage.

It dries much like a clear coat.Believe it or not most new cars today have waterborn paint on them.By 2010 all automotive basecoat finishes will be waterborn.Those chemists are pretty smart.A prank we played on my cousin who asked me to paint his skid plate for his 4 wheeler.I Painted it hot pink,allowed it to dry and applied a coat of spray mask.Upon that drying applied the silver paint he requested.The silver stayed in tact until we hit our first big puddle in the woods revealing his beautiful hot pink skid plate.

Gave this idea some time and thought before replying to it. As good as the idea is here's my thoughts. JMHO

This product is intended to be used on paint mostly as a spray mask but probably not a problem if it gets on the chrome.
To me spraying a water based product on chrome would trap moisture against the chrome and may have reversed effects other than what you are trying to accomplish with the use of it.

I like to just clean the bike before storage and being I have a climate controlled garage summer and winter, the pledge works fine for me.

I know you were all waiting to hear about the pledge thing again.:D

What he said.... ^

If you have an environment that you have comlplete control over...such as temperature and humidity, then this stuff might work but at like $36 bucks a gallon, thats too rich for my blood....not only that, but I dont winterize anyway......

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

Yes $36 may seem expensive but consider a half pint will do your scoot.Thats great you live in an area you can ride year round.I wish I lived in an area such as that.Here in the northeast however we dont have much choice.

Gave this idea some time and thought before replying to it. As good as the idea is here's my thoughts. JMHO

This product is intended to be used on paint mostly as a spray mask but probably not a problem if it gets on the chrome.
To me spraying a water based product on chrome would trap moisture against the chrome and may have reversed effects other than what you are trying to accomplish with the use of it.

I like to just clean the bike before storage and being I have a climate controlled garage summer and winter, the pledge works fine for me.

I know you were all waiting to hear about the pledge thing again.:D

Well thought out Glider.:newsmile102:However on this logic the waterborn primers,paints currently used in the industrial field would in fact rust out the very metals they are being applied to for protection.This is not a product I just stumbled across.I have been using it for many years in various applications including high dollar hot rods for extended periods of time.In every instance upon removal no adverse affects are present to chrome,paint or rubber.
Just an idea for anyone interested.

Well thought out Glider.:newsmile102:However on this logic the waterborn primers,paints currently used in the industrial field would in fact rust out the very metals they are being applied to for protection.This is not a product I just stumbled across.I have been using it for many years in various applications including high dollar hot rods for extended periods of time.In every instance upon removal no adverse affects are present to chrome,paint or rubber.
Just an idea for anyone interested.

I'm still very reserved on the water born products when used in direct contact with metal. It may be the way of the future but I'm a bit old school in this area and can't understand how it can do anything but cause a problem when in direct contact with bare metal.
We all know what happens when a piece of unpainted steel is left outdoors. In my mind, this is what is happening under the water born paint and media when it is applied to a degree on bare metal.

I'm probably way out in left field here without a glove and nothing to back this theory of mine up , but that's how I see it anyway.

I'm with Smitty on this one, partly because I'm a believer in the KISS theory. But mainly because the weather here is so screwy, anything can happen. Last Saturday, it was 71F. Sunday it was 45F. Go figure.

It warms up to 45 I am riding to visit my son warms up to 71 I taking the rest of my vacation time and wearing out the rest of my rear tire :)
12 degrees this morning

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for the "KISS" principle. I get my bike detailed at the end of the season, put stabile in a full gas tank and put the battery on a tender. That's it. When that 45 -50 degree day shows up, I'm ready to go.:rider:rider:rider and I'm gone!:yahoo:yahoo:yahoo

Back