free website stats program A little help with heat | Harley Davidson Forums

A little help with heat

Classx

Hey gang, I'm new here and could use some help.

I have a splendid 1998 95th anniversary Road King. It runs and rides great and has never been a problem.

I just purchased a 1999 FLHTCUI Ultra Glide Classic. It was a Shriner bike and I got it for a good price. However, I don't think the previous owner ever washed it.

The new bike runs extremely hot. So much so that my wife won't ride it. The stock muffler had actually turned gold with the previous owner. I went through forum after forum and took the following actions.

I replaced the stock headers with Rush ceramic coated headers. I replaced the stock touring mufflers with aftermarket fishtail mufflers (dang but these things are loud). They are smaller in diameter and have a sealed metal baffle. I installed the Kuryakyn under seat heat shields.

This has helped quite a bit, but it still seems a lot hotter than the Roadking. It also idles a lot rougher.

Both bikes are fuel injected, but I think the 1999 is an 88 ci engine while the 98 is only an 80. I don't know how much that plays into it. Also how much does the fairing contribute to the heat?

The dealer told me to make the changes and ride it a while before I bring it to them for a software upgrade and fuel/air mix adjusted.

So, I am leaning on the experts here (I sure hope there are some).

Classx; congrats to you on picking up another fine steed for your stable. I'm guessing the Shriners didn't really "soup-up" their rides so this UGC is pretty much stock (other than your exhaust UG)? If so it's probably still running lean which definitely generates heat. Need to add air to the motor & open 'er up a bit (Stage-1/breather) and tuner so you can self-adjust these modifications. A huge # of members on this forum (self included) use Techlusion (Dobeck) TFI tuner & they are fantastic - even get member discount. Here's the link for your bike & they have an awesome Customer Service dept. so give them a call. EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

Good luck w/your new ride & enjoy!

Classx; congrats to you on picking up another fine steed for your stable. I'm guessing the Shriners didn't really "soup-up" their rides so this UGC is pretty much stock (other than your exhaust UG)? If so it's probably still running lean which definitely generates heat. Need to add air to the motor & open 'er up a bit (Stage-1/breather) and tuner so you can self-adjust these modifications. A huge # of members on this forum (self included) use Techlusion (Dobeck) TFI tuner & they are fantastic - even get member discount. Here's the link for your bike & they have an awesome Customer Service dept. so give them a call. EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

Good luck w/your new ride & enjoy!

+1 Iceman has got you covered. Add some fuel and you will be amazed.

Bodeen

He did do add-ons but no performance upgrades. Heck, I even got a matching Motorvation trailer with all the options! I don't know when I will really ever pull it behind the bike, but I now have one for all my wife's stuff when we travel.

If you say the color is golden brown. Is that not a really lean condition? If I remember I thought Bluing was a lean condition, and Brown color was a rich condition. Yes? No?

Back