free website stats program a little advise please. | Harley Davidson Forums

a little advise please.

06rdking

Banned
I am going to look at a 97 fxstc with 15,700 original miles is there anything inpiticular I should be aware of or any thing I should pay extra attention to. I know what kelly blue book says but what is a ball park figure $ wise for such a bike in ( nice to very nice condition )? thanks to all who reply.

Sometimes it helps to look a bit at Kelly Blue Book website and realistically appraise the bike as if YOU were selling it...accessories mean very little, and in some cases make the bike worth LESS if you can believe...

Choosing A Motorcycle - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Remember, buying is an emotional decision...you have to weigh it with RATIONALE as to affordability, willingness to accept necessary maintenance and hidden costs (taxes, tuning, extended warranty or lack of, etc.). If you do your own maintenance it is a plus, but the older the bike, the more likely major work may be needed...do check threads related to your year make and model on this forum.

Last edited:
The EVO engine with that few miles on it should be in good shape.
Look carefuly for signs of oil seeping or leaking on cyl gaskets a sure sign bike was not warmed up before riding. Not a deal breaker but something you will need to deal with.
Look around heads for any sign of oil that had leaked and been cleaned.

Special look at rear cylinder this is where they liked to leak, test ride of course and get a feel for the brakes and tranny

I went and did it I brought the 97 softail home . I could not find anything to show any kind of leaks or damage. lots of extras a very nice ride. now to find a home for it in the garage with the rd king.

I have a 98 evo, been a pretty darn good motor. Change out the inner cam bearing. The bearing is not the best, replace with a torrington. You can do a nice bolt in cam and lifters while you are at it. I have added a Mikuni and exhaust as well. Enjoy it, they are great motors.

If you never owned an EVO before. warm it up before you ride it hard.
Do not leave enricher on to long. Shut fuel off when you park it.
Check the book on how to clean lifter screen every 5K.
Enjoy EVO's are fun to ride

Watch out for the plastic breather valve, other than that what Smitty said:s

Back