free website stats program A Ki-tec / Doebeck TFI | Harley Davidson Forums

A Ki-tec / Doebeck TFI

howo

Hi i have a stage one FLHRC and the engine is running rough generally when its really well warmed up HOT. sort of staggering...
I have a Dobeck tfi unit (fitted before i bought the bike so no instructions).
everyone i asked says its prob the fueler causing the probs so ive checked all the connections which seem okies and the lights flash the code saying its connected up good.
So i thought id richen up the afr as the sparklers are a VERY light grey. i looked up the instructions on the web but as my unit only has Ki-Tech and TFI fuel controller made by Dobeck printed on it im not sure of how to do it.
the nearest lookalike unit i can find is the Ki-Tech pro standard PPF-10718
and it says press mode button once to select mode then + or - buttons for adjustments. well ive tried with engine off and engine running and engine off but ignition on and run on and all combs and i cant get the mode button to light up anything.
do you think the units failed or am i doing this all wrong ?

It sounds like you have one of the GEN models. Mine is the older POTS models. Have you seen this video demo ? Also there is a tech phone number listed on the page.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

i'll give them a ring on monday. was pokeing about today an noticed exhaust sensors are still connected to the factory harness. from what ive read on install site on wed there supposed to be blanked off ? well i guess ill give them a ring and learn some more......
thxz for reply.

i'll give them a ring on monday. was pokeing about today an noticed exhaust sensors are still connected to the factory harness. from what ive read on install site on wed there supposed to be blanked off ? well i guess ill give them a ring and learn some more......
thxz for reply.

Make sure you check the midway connectors (one is usually in the front regulator, and the other under the seat). That is where they should be disconnected at. There will be the end coming from the pipe laying just empty. The harness end will have a bypass plug in them with a wire loop on top.

Normally the sensors and cables coming out of the pipes are still IN there. Although some folks do take them out and put M18x1.5 Oil drain plugs in the hole. You can buy them for bout $2.50 at Autozone.

nah i disconected the O2 sensors and no change. Tfi unit some times the lights flash the connected properly code and sometimes not and some times they flash all green with 2 red lights in the middle of the row. the maode button brought up mode 1 for 2 secs then they died and havent reappeard since. my guess is it waz fitted incorrectly and its dead now or it died of old age maybe lol anyway shouuld find out on monday

================================================

mid way connectors okies will go see

sensor cables (on my rk) start in the exhaust just in front of transmission cover, and run straight up under the right side cover to there harness connectors so fairly certain i tried working the unit without O2's connected.
think ive done all i can do :cry

Last edited by a moderator:
sensor cables (on my rk) start in the exhaust just in front of transmission cover, and run straight up under the right side cover to there harness connectors so fairly certain i tried working the unit without O2's connected.
think ive done all i can do :cry

Yea disconnected but did you make sure the harness end had the TFI plugs in them? After you do that you definitely need to call Doebeck.

No end plugs. so im guessing the unit waz fitted incorrectly from the get go by the previous owner and possably not fueling my stage 1 for the intire 7500 mls on her clock.
So the unit dosent seem to funtcion with or without the O2's connected so i guess it needs replacement
my reading up on this sensor stuff is that the caps are there to fool the bike's diagnostics there still connected so unless the units bust it shouls work now with the O2s dis connected even without the end plugs

No end plugs. so im guessing the unit waz fitted incorrectly from the get go by the previous owner and possably not fueling my stage 1 for the intire 7500 mls on her clock.
So the unit dosent seem to funtcion with or without the O2's connected so i guess it needs replacement
my reading up on this sensor stuff is that the caps are there to fool the bike's diagnostics there still connected so unless the units bust it shouls work now with the O2s dis connected even without the end plugs

Ugh .. .. well I've never tested it without the plugs. You may be correct that that the loop around ONLY keeps the ecm from throwing codes, BUT it may be more envolved than that. The plugs may have a setting built into them that sends a SPECIFIC data back to the ECM that the Doebeck TFI can work to alter since it expects that signal.

In ANY case I would think you NEED those plugs. Call Doebeck and get the lowdown. Since you bought it thru the a reseller, you may have to first send the unit back thru them. But call Doebeck.

spoke to the Kitech peeps in UK who supplied the unit they said it sounds like an older syle unit that has the O2's connected to supply the power to the fueler. So pos the O2 sensors are causeing the trouble ie not supplying the power or only intermitantly......

so if anyone knows how an average joe can check out if his O2 sensors are working properly that would be cool.

they did say they could re flash the unit and supply new harness bits and end caps that upgrade it to not use O2's. but i would rather find out if the unit is trashed or my O2's anit working befor i send £ and unit to them.

Back