free website stats program A fresh set of tins on my softail | Harley Davidson Forums

A fresh set of tins on my softail

fin_676

Experienced Member
Staff member
Contributor
When i first got my softail custom i was not to sure of the paintwork and whether i liked it and there was the odd bit that was not looking too good
I started out keeping an eye on ebay for another set of tins that i would have painted black
i did manage to get a rear fender and a pair of dented tanks so wife took the tanks to her work to get the dents pulled out
she left that job and went elsewhere and the engineer that had the tanks left a wee while later and she had lost touch with the tanks and the engineer

I eventually found another pair of tanks at a price i was happy to pay and when the arrived i was surprised at the very good condition of the pair of tanks they came off a 97 heritage softail colour sinister blue pearl
I took my rear fender tanks and an aftermarket front fender to a local ford dealer and asked the paint shop if they could match the colour of the tanks on the fenders

One weird thing i found out during this process was the cruiser of the softail family the softail custom has a 5.2 gallon tank and the touring model the heritage softail has a 4.2 gallon tank so i have lost a wee bit of range but the bike looks a lot better

Brian

Attachments

• DSCF0141 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0141 (Medium).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0139 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0139 (Medium).JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0140 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0140 (Medium).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 74
Nice job Brian, refreshing to see a classic bike like that with the factory cross over still in place:s

I also like the look of the stock exhaust system with the cross over pipe and the classic shape of the mufflers and i do have 3 sets of the mufflers 1 set stock (for M.O.T. inspection) 1 set that flows a bit better and 1 set that have no restriction at all
I tend to use the mid way set most of the time

Brian

Back