free website stats program A first for everything... | Harley Davidson Forums

A first for everything...

Grillfish

Well, after 16 months, I hit the rev limiter on my 09 RG this past Saturday (something I didn't intend to do).

After a morning of dealing with DTCs, limp mode due to twist grip sensor (I fixed it by adjusting the wires on the right hand side and reinstalling my grip), I thought I broke something in the motor.

I was riding with a group of 6 friends and my in-laws (which he owns a GL1800 wing). We were last in line to make a left and both take off to keep the group of 8 bikes together. Next thing I know we both are WOT, and I didn't even have time to shift to 2nd when I feel the entire engine like shut off. I go from barely holding on to getting thrown forward. I look down and see the tach and shift to 2nd. First gear really runs out fast!

I've never done that before, ride my bikes hard but take care of them and never hit the rev limiter on any of them before. Maybe I was trying to keep up and shift with my father-in-laws Wing (which redlines much higher or it was the quiet power of his bike.. not sure).

This is my first FI bike (only had carbed bikes before) and amazed at what happens when you hit the limiter.

Overall, it was a fun day of riding, we hit an India Pow Wow in the national forest and then ate a great Cape Cod seafood meal!

Ride safe and have fun.

5500 rpms Stock
6200 Stage 1 down load/SEST/SERT
6500-7000 Big Bore conversion and Cams and heads if they can take the limiter due to having bigger heavy duty valve springs

Thanks Hobbit

Grillfish...did everything return to normal when you shifted to 2nd and the RPMs dropped? I've never hit the rev limiter on my Road King, but I can imagine it would scare you the first time it happened (thinking the engine blew). According to Hobbit, I should be good to 6200. I'll try to keep it below that just to avoid the rev limiter. I have enough grey hair already. LOL

Everything did get back to normal as I shifted to 2nd but as Hobbit said, it is really harsh! It just shuts down!!

Back