free website stats program A few questions if ya dont mind! | Harley Davidson Forums

A few questions if ya dont mind!

:bigsmiley5:Hello Ya'll its me again with the ole shovelhead and i am still trying to get it running good. first question, I have to holes in engine seal area behind primary front sprocket, these things are pouring oil just from cranking even though I did get it to idle for a bit the other day. can these holes be plugged off? 2nd question, I only got it to run on the rear cylinder what have I done I am trying to re time it all. 3rd question, my flywheel is a S&S it has three markings. R with timing slash mark , F with timing slash mark and a letter T : F what is the last one for ? can any of you please help I have been to the shovelhead forums and not getting much help there as I must not be good enough to be with the in crowd or something.I gotta get this thing running so i can move on to other things so i can ride this summer. BigAl:bigsmiley5:

:bigsmiley5:Hello Ya'll its me again with the ole shovelhead and i am still trying to get it running good. first question, I have to holes in engine seal area behind primary front sprocket, these things are pouring oil just from cranking even though I did get it to idle for a bit the other day. can these holes be plugged off? 2nd question, I only got it to run on the rear cylinder what have I done I am trying to re time it all. 3rd question, my flywheel is a S&S it has three markings. R with timing slash mark , F with timing slash mark and a letter T : F what is the last one for ? can any of you please help I have been to the shovelhead forums and not getting much help there as I must not be good enough to be with the in crowd or something.I gotta get this thing running so i can move on to other things so i can ride this summer. BigAl:bigsmiley5:

S&S Cycle | Ignition Have a look here first, Can you give me more info on the HOLES

Jack the holes look as though they are there for some way of installing that plate over the shaft bearing area I seen a pic of an original 67 shovel engine and it looked nothing like this. from what i can gather the previous owner has S&S install the stroker kit. the plate if that is what its called sits directly behind the compensator sprocket and is inside of the case around the shaft without me taking it all apart again and snapping a few pics its kinda hard to explain.

I'm going back aways and hope I don't steer you wrong. T is for top dead center, and not a "timing" mark. F / is front cyl. advance timing mark, R / is rear cyl. adv. timing mark. Put a finger over a spark plug hole to find compression stroke, then put a plastic drinking straw into the hole to find absolute TDC, the advance marks should be about 35° back from TDC on each cyl.

thanks breeze I will do that tomorrow. I guess one of my biggest problems is getting the points set with both cylinders but I might get lucky after I do this. keep the info coming i really need help here I might be mechanically inclined but harleys are new to me but i am learning the hard way, hands on all the way and asking alot of questions.

believe or not as I was looking to through my files i found this same exact papers on the stroker kit lol I do appreciate all your effort Breeze.

Back