free website stats program A few issues with 2001 RK | Harley Davidson Forums

A few issues with 2001 RK

fiveoh455

A couple of issues I'm looking for help with. I ride a 2001 Road King (Police.) I just got home yesterday from a trip to Great Falls, Montana (round trip 3100 miles.) My second day on the way home was an 880 miler, from Jamestown, ND to South Bend, IN. In the last 200 miles, my engine light started coming on for a few seconds at a time. It would go off, then come back on, sometimes within a mile, sometimes 10 miles. last summer, I had my stator replaced after getting stranded in Ohio. I thought it might be a charging problm, so I shut off my highway lights and XM radio (plugged into 12 V adapter.) I made it home and put the Battery Tender on, and the battery was cahrged within a short time. The only stops I made on the way home were for gas, a few minutes at a time. Any ides why the engine light came on. I should note, the bike ran "sluggish" that last 200 miles, like I had no "get up."
Secondly, I replaced my speedo with a speedo/tach approx. 6 weeks ago (HD part #74461-3A.) In the afternoons, in the heat of the sun, the speedo faceplate developed a bubble, like it detached from the face. The bubble inhibited the sppedo needle from moving...I had to gauge speed by the tach. Anyone else have this issue?

same bike. factory speedo/tach. separate units. i have lost all power to turn signals, horn, brake lights and hi/lo beam functions at various times. disassembled ign. switch and cleaned. no signal or light to indicate problem. stuff just didn't work. don't know why. no problem since i removed a waste basket full of superfulous wiring that went nowhere. now a complete civilian rk w/ police stickers.

try checking the starter relay, I know its' weird, but my y2k RK did almost the same thing, (mine shut down completely but would restart in 10 minutes) and got it to the dealer, their fancy machine said the starter relay was bad, as the onboard computer constantly checks all electrical components and it shut it self down

Back