free website stats program A curious thing is happening to my front tire,,,, | Harley Davidson Forums

A curious thing is happening to my front tire,,,,

Deuceman144

A few months ago I replaced both front and rear tires on my 05 Deuce with the recommended Dunlop (HD) product. I've now done about 4,000k and have noticed the tread on the front tire is wearing significantly faster on the right hand side than the centre and left. In fact, the tread on the right is now almost slick while the center and left side are equally worn with about an 1/8th of an inch tread left.

I've been riding bikes for over 30 years and I've never noticed this before. I can't work it out,,, the law of averages would suggest I'm not turning any more right handed corners than left and I can't be leaning to one side or I'd be riding around in circles all day. My lady tells me I prefer left handed corners to right and don't set myself up the same for each, but this would imply the left should be wearing out faster.

My thinking keeps coming back to the tire and the compound mix, however, the rubber is injected during manufacture making it hard to understand how it could be an anomoly in the compound.

Any suggestions would be welcome as it's got me stumped.

thanks,
Al

Owning a Harley has removed so much money from your wallet that you are significantly heavier on the right side, causing tire to wear out! Sorry, I couldn't resist:)
If youdidn't have a problem with your previous tire, I would suspect that your front axle was not installed according to spec. (see self help tips). It doesn't usually cause a drastic effect like you describe, but it is possible. Your forks could also be tweeked, did you have any kind of tip over, bump something? When you are riding on a smooth straight road can you (very carefully) remove your hands from the grips without the bike pulling to the right?

I knew it was going to involve money!! :cry

The good news is Heaven does have a price! :cheers

The bike tracks pretty good hands free. I've never considered alignment to be an issue with bikes as there's no lateral or opposing force to cause misaligned tracking and thus uneven tread wear. Given the forks don't have additional support closer to the wheel, I wonder if maybe installing the chrome brace you can get as an accessory would help stiffen the front up a little. (I can feel my wallet getting even lighter, heck, I'll need a new tire sooner than I think!)

Anyway, I'll take it into the dealer tomorrow and see if they've seen it before.

Thanks,
Al

because there is no top pinch bolt on the trees your front end twists alot under breaking. the wheel turns left and the right side wears also road camber will cause this a bit, adding a fork brace will help

Sage advice there Rancid, thanks for the headsup.

I went for a ride after reading your post and watched as I engaged the front brake and you're right, in fact, it's quite profound the effect it has on the tracking of the front wheel and not something I would have thought of.

Thanks again,
Al

Back