free website stats program 99 XLH883 Clutch Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

99 XLH883 Clutch Problem

MJMTRVLR

A couple of months ago, I started having problems with my clutch dis-engaging. While stopped in first gear, I can still feel the clutch pulling and have to use the break to keep from moving. Also, I can not get into neutral unless I kill the engine. I have adjusted the clutch cable and the clutch adjustment screw behind the derby as specified by glider in his video, still have the same problem. Please advise on what my next step is. Thanks for your help.

The most likley cause of clutch drag is bad adjustment
warped clutch plates or a worn clutch hub bearing

so first double check the adjustment as per the workshop manual youll find one for a 98 sportster in the download section so id get reading cos if the adjustment fails to cure the problem youll have to start stripping and assembling and checking of parts for servicability
Previous experiance points towards the plates iv had to change the clutch plates on numerous bikes in the past for various problems mostly slipping but havent as yet had to do any of my hd clutches but special tools will be required

Brian

I had that problem a some time ago. It went on for a few months, actually. I kept adjusting the cable so it wouldn't pull or creep while at a stop. I also had a hard time getting it into neutral. When that happened I would release the clutch and go forward a few inches which would reset the plates and eventually I could get it into neutral but It didn't always work and I'd have to hold the clutch at stops. Eventually my clutch went out and I had to "power clutch it" about 30 miles all the way to the shop in rush hour traffic. I recommend just getting a new clutch and getting it over with :}! I wish I had just got a new clutch earlier rather than deal with that situation.

Back