free website stats program 99 Softail - Removing Adjustable Pushrod | Harley Davidson Forums

99 Softail - Removing Adjustable Pushrod

gaillarry

Got a noisy front lifter. Removed the upper pushrod cover, put the front cyl on TDC and collapsed the pushrod nuts. The pushrod won't come out, need about a 1/2" more clearance. What am I doing wrong?

99EvoLowerPushrod.jpg

Got a noisy front lifter. Removed the upper pushrod cover, put the front cyl on TDC and collapsed the pushrod nuts. The pushrod won't come out, need about a 1/2" more clearance. What am I doing wrong?

99EvoLowerPushrod.jpg

IF you rotate the engine BY HAND using the rear-in-gear tire , either forward or back (plugs out)....... Just to see IF the cam and lifter will give you more Free Play on the cam circle...

You might be on the middle of the WRONG cam cycle and this will give you the free play needed...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks, I'll try that. I know for some adjustable pushrods the rocker covers have to come off, but no idea what kind of pushrods I have.

99EvoLowerPushrod.jpg

First things first; are you at TDC on the compression stroke? That's where you need to be.

Do you know the pushrod brand? Some adjustable pushrods, like Smith Brothers, are designed such that you cannot R/R them in one piece.

SmithBrospushrods.jpg

Smith is not the only pushrod like this; I believe some of the earlier Andrews and S&S pushrods are also designed this way. To remove these type pushrods, you would need to thread the adjustor that connects the upper and lower pieces all the way up into the upper piece and disconnect it from the bottom piece and remove both pieces.

These are a nightmare but make for a stiffer pushrod for high performance applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, TDC on compression stroke. No idea what brand of pushrods. Went arouind a few times using the rear wheel in gear, no change. Time to pull the rocker covers. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, TDC on compression stroke. No idea what brand of pushrods. Went arouind a few times using the rear wheel in gear, no change. Time to pull the rocker covers. Thanks for the replies.

Or you could cut them and put in the SE adjustable pushrods. About $160.

I know it's more money :cry but Glazier's suggestion of cuttiung them and installing the SE Tapered Quick Install pushrods would be a good move; if you have the cash. You can get them for about $140 if ordered from an online discount dealer like Surdyke, Newcastle, Chicago Harley, etc.

If you have occassion to get into the cam chest from time to time, it might be worth it. :small3d015:

FOOD For Thought:

I sure like my SE slender taper adjustable push rods.

Easy in and out, working great on every bike I've owned...

I have installed adjustables JUST to fine tune a lifter tic. Even stock bikes can benifit using them.

I like fine tuning my se255's ,,,, they work good going over 1/2 way of pre-load.

signed....BUBBIE

Back