free website stats program '99 Road King no start | Harley Davidson Forums

'99 Road King no start

RKrulz

Hi guys....Help please! Put a fully charged battery in my '99 RK this Spring and she fired right up...went out two days later and nothing...no engine light, but I do have head/tail lights, I can hear the fuel pump running and a faint "clicking sound" from the ECM. There are 12 volts at the circuit breaker and the starter solenoid. Any Ideas? Thanks.

You said a "fully charged" battery but didn't say how old the battery is. Sounds like a dying battery to me. Take it to Auto Zone or Advanced Auto and have it load tested. I think a new battery is in your future.

Hi guys...appreciate all the feedback...here's an update..had the battery load tested at Advance...552 CCA's. Charged the battery overnight. It had 13.5 volts when I put it back in the bike, switch on, kill switch off, hit the start button and nothing. I removed all cables, cleaned them and reinstalled..it seems like the starter is not getting the message to engage?...What's also strange is that the directional lights and horn don't operate when the switch is in the on position. Any more ideas out there?

Hi guys...appreciate all the feedback...here's an update..had the battery load tested at Advance...552 CCA's. Charged the battery overnight. It had 13.5 volts when I put it back in the bike, switch on, kill switch off, hit the start button and nothing. I removed all cables, cleaned them and reinstalled..it seems like the starter is not getting the message to engage?...What's also strange is that the directional lights and horn don't operate when the switch is in the on position. Any more ideas out there?

Maybe try cleaning the on/off switch, might be corroded and not sending power. Recheck all the fuses might not hurt.

Check for voltage @ the main starter lug it should read battery voltage, with run switch on jumper across the solenoid did it start?

Check for voltage @ the main starter lug it should read battery voltage, with run switch on jumper across the solenoid did it start?

MAKE DOUBLE SURE IT'S IN NEUTRAL BEFORE TRYING THIS AT HOME! Caps intended.... :newsmile024:

What's also strange is that the directional lights and horn don't operate when the switch is in the on position. Any more ideas out there?

You just put the battery in, could you have disturbed some wiring near there?

Could a ignition switch be the culprit? Blinkers & horn should work even with the kill switch on (killed). Try wiggling it a bit with horn pressed for fun.

Back