free website stats program '99 Road King MM Intake Question | Harley Davidson Forums

'99 Road King MM Intake Question

Sempervalens

Does anyone know what this thing is that I've circled here? I'm installing a standard hypercharger from kuryakan and it's telling me to drill a hole in my intake to install a vacuum port for the butterflies...but this looks kinda like a vacuum port, and if I can use this, I'd rather use it than drill into my manifold. Thanks in advance for any advice.
intake.jpg

Welcome to the forum, it Certainly looks like a vacuum port to me. I would want to check the service manual though, to be sure.

Welcome
You can pull the cap off, put a rag into the throttle body than use a can of carb cleaner and the hose spray a shot down it.
I think this is a vacuum port but in front of the throttle plate at idle may not give full time vacuum if that is what you need.

Welcome aboard,
It certainly does look like a vacuum port, if it runs start it and see if you can feel a vacuum, you need to block the throttle port as Joel says.

As a Hypercharger owner for 20+ years, I advise to NOT hook up the butterflies to vac. Not hooked up, they will remain wide open. With vacuum, the pulses from the engine make them rattle, and it is irritating. The only advantage (?) of hooking them up, is the "cool" factor when you blip the throttle.

That is a vacuum port but not sure if there is enough vacuum to fully open the butterflies; just have to install and check. I suspect that if Kury says drill a hole, you should probably drill a hole. Kury invented and has tested all versions of the Hypercharger on their test mule Harleys; I think they know what they are talking about.;)

I have to add, with respect, the Hypercharger is all show and no go. If I had a dollar for every post I have seen regarding all the problems that others have encountered with the Hypercharger, I could retire early. Don't know which version of the Hypercharger you have but if the butterflies are secured with screws, remove them, apply red Loctite and re-install. I have seen those screws come loose, get sucked into the intake and cause major damage. The butterflies also rattle at idle, very annoying and worse than valve train noise but it will certainly cover up valve train noise. The MM EFI is problematic itself does not respond well to aftermarket upgrades; it likes for everything to stay stock. I admit the Hypercharger is a very cool looking piece of hardware but there are several better performance options without the baggage.JMHO Good luck with the install.

Back