free website stats program 99 Road King Fuel Consumption. Help??? | Harley Davidson Forums

99 Road King Fuel Consumption. Help???

nmfatboy

Ijust bought a 99 RK Classic. It has Stage 2 performance mods (cams, bored out to 95 ci, hooker pipes, power commander II). I rode the bike home from Phoenix and averaged 22 mpg. I have to admit I was not going slow (averaged 80mph). Does this sound right??

I realize speed affects fuel counsumption,but that was a huge disappointment. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That sounds really, really, really, really, bad. Pull a plug, i bet it is on the darker end of the spectrum. I don't know how to tune the pc II's, but they do have a website and that would be a good place to start.

Not only is that expensive, it is lots of stops with a 5 gallon tank. 80 mph, into a headwind, 2 up mine deteriorates to mid 30s mpg. Do the exhaust exits look black and sooty?

I would try to find a good tuner guy with a dyno. It maybe as simple as the bike is not set up correctly after mods. Do you know what cams were installed? Hopefully this is not a situation where someone just added parts and did not match everything.

Exhaust is a bit sooty. Plugs were dark but not too bad. Im going to take it in today. Thanks for all the help.

Still very windy conditions here and I mean Kansas style windy and I have just over 1000 miles since I bought my 2000 RKC w/Gen 3 and getting 39 mpg more often than not. I like to go fast, can't hit ya if they can't catch ya.

best i've ever done on my 01 rkp is about 36 mpg. this is with stage 1 and pcIII and w/o pcIII. gets worse in winter because of RFG. never was a hi mpg bike. runs about 33 mpg now w/ new cams and heavy hand. hard to stay out of it and shift at 3k.

best i've ever done on my 01 rkp is about 36 mpg. this is with stage 1 and pcIII and w/o pcIII. gets worse in winter because of RFG. never was a hi mpg bike. runs about 33 mpg now w/ new cams and heavy hand. hard to stay out of it and shift at 3k.

I just put a pcIII and big sucker on my ultra today. Only rode about 20 or so miles, but will be leaving for Texas on Friday. I am kind of curious to see what it gets for mpg, but you know what, I really don't care. The bike is so much fun, and is about the only fun I really have anymore, so I deserve it.
The only reasons I worry about excessive fuel consumption personally are 1; there is an ideal point where you make power and you lose it if you are too rich and 2; if it is too rich, it will shorten the life of my motor. Beyond that, let the good times roll!!!!!

Forgot to say, and this is really important, for anyone running a stock air cleaner, get rid of it. That big sucker really woke the bike up. Whatever kind of aftermarket you get; screamin eagle, k&n, ness, and whatever tuner your going to use, just do it. That bike went from 50 to 80 like that, and it was in fifth gear.

Last edited:
That does sound bad. I have an 01 RK with a 103, moderate cams, and get about 38MPG if I don't run over 70/75MPH. Find a good tuner with a decent Dyno set-up.

Thanks again for all the help. Took in it today and it looks like the Power Commander II module is bad. Gonna install the PCIII and hope that takes care of the problem.

Back