free website stats program 99 Road King Classic EFI - Non Starter | Harley Davidson Forums

99 Road King Classic EFI - Non Starter

Hey Everyone!

Got a doozy here. We recently acquired a 99 Road King and have been working to get it ready for the summer (clearly running late).

We had it started up last week and was running beautifully. A week later, just sitting, nothing.

So, we can hear the fuel pump prime, but when we try to start, we hear a click from the relay behind the battery. We localized it to one specifically and can feel it when we try to start.

Some other symptoms, Brakelights do not function, Horn does not function, turn signals do not function.

All of these worked fine a week ago. Literally nothing has changed.

We have done the following troubleshooting:

Battery tested fine - was on a trickle charger the whole time
Fuses are all fine - Tested for continuity
Starter tested fine
We swapped and replaced the relays, issue persists.

Before we start trying to remove the fuel tank and check the wiring, I wanted to check here to see if there were any other potentially overlooked checks, especially with it starting up no problem a week ago and all lights fully functional.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! summer going quick!

Was 1 of the relays a Systems Relay? You can also check the small wire on top of the starter solenoid for 12Vdc when starter button push. Or use a jumper wire from Battery + to the solenoid where the small wire goes, usually green or yellow. Could also be a problem with your key switch as far as the lights go. Try wiggling it in the on position to see if the lights/horn etc. will work.
tourbox

Could be a bad ground. Check battery voltage with plus on battery and minus on frame to check the ground strap.

If you do not have a service manual, I suggest getting one as it has schematics that will be a big plus in tracing wires involved with the starting of the bike.
I would also suggest the electrical diagnostic book also, it contains trouble shooting ladders that will help sort it out.

I have seen both manuals on ebay many times. I have a set for 2001 and they work fine for earlier models.

Remove, wire brush and reconnect both ends of both battery cables. Disconnect the Negative first, and reconnect it last.

While disconnected, take the battery to an auto-supply house and have it load tested.

Cheers,

TQ

Was 1 of the relays a Systems Relay? You can also check the small wire on top of the starter solenoid for 12Vdc when starter button push. Or use a jumper wire from Battery + to the solenoid where the small wire goes, usually green or yellow. Could also be a problem with your key switch as far as the lights go. Try wiggling it in the on position to see if the lights/horn etc. will work.
tourbox
We replaced the 4 relays located directly behing the battery, not sure if we Id'd any other obious ones!

Remove, wire brush and reconnect both ends of both battery cables. Disconnect the Negative first, and reconnect it last.

While disconnected, take the battery to an auto-supply house and have it load tested.

Cheers,

TQ
Thank you! We did have the battery tested, was a new battery and tested great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a '91 Dyna that I had lots of starting problems with. Went through all the gyrations trying to debug the thing. Turned out to be LOTS of corrosion by-products in the Start Switch and Kill Switch on the right hand handlebar switch gang. Just took all those apart, cleaned them up and sprayed them with contact cleaner, then reassembled them and the problem was fixed. Would probably help using some lube in there too to protect against that corrosion by-product forming again.

Cheers,

TQ

I have a '91 Dyna that I had lots of starting problems with. Went through all the gyrations trying to debug the thing. Turned out to be LOTS of corrosion by-products in the Start Switch and Kill Switch on the right hand handlebar switch gang. Just took all those apart, cleaned them up and sprayed them with contact cleaner, then reassembled them and the problem was fixed. Would probably help using some lube in there too to protect against that corrosion by-product forming again.

Cheers,

TQ
Dielectric grease works wonders, in a tube, and cheap insurance against moisture.

Cheers,

TQ
Thank you! We intend to dissect these tonight and take a look! Will report back if it turns out to be the issue! We have gone through the wiring diagrams and traced wires all over, but nothing seems exposed or corroded as of yet, but there are some tight spots its tough to get access to. If this isnt the issue, we'll have to pull the tabk. Ugh!

I had an 03 RKC that was giving me some electrical problems, most related issue to your was the momentary shut down on turns, as I remember it was right turns slow speeds like when in intersections, once I straightened the bike up everything was normal, could have been in the early state of failure your at now, the last thing I looked at turned out to be the cause. the plug in on the ignition switch was barely on, I looked at the connector and didn't see any corrosion and the locking tab was good, put on some di electric grease plugged it on, the locking tab clicked and never had the issue again.
Good luck with yours.

Back