free website stats program 98 Ultra running rough | Harley Davidson Forums

98 Ultra running rough

manfibre1118

I have a 98 Ultra Classic, EFI, 30,000 miles. Sometime the bike idles fine other times it idles very high, over 2000 rpm. It will just sit and idle then all of a sudden it has jumped way up. It also cuts out at times at various RPMs, it also dies at stops after running good, but generally starts right back up. I had the stater replaced just a few months back and less than 1000 miles on it since. Everything checked out at that time. Any ideas? The bike has been serviced at every HD recommendation and by HD only. Thanks:

Give that link Glider passed you a shot.

But if that doesn't work? Start thinking about doing a carb conversion. For ballpark $700-$800, you can have a MUCH better running bike.

Now, don't get me wrong... I love EFI. The Delphi stuff that came out in 2002 is pretty dang good, but the Magnetti Marelli stuff they used prior to that is VERY tough to "get right" again once it starts acting up.

The MoCo has put out about 3 different versions of the hot/cold idle adjustment procedure over the years. (That's what Glider's link is...) And the "newest" version STILL doesn't solve the problems every time.

If you're unable to fix it... you can spend a lot of money having a dealership (or independent) guy work on it. The carb conversion is pretty straight forward, and I've heard of LOTS of success stories with that.

Others may feel free to disagree, just giving my $.02

Back