free website stats program '98 1200 Sportster Turn Signal Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

'98 1200 Sportster Turn Signal Problem

Jim Burks

I need help!! After washing my bike my left T/S blinks continuously,I can turn on the right signal and they both blink if I hold the right side button in they both stop blinking and the left side starts again as soon as I release the r/side button.I unplugged the box under the seat (attached to the rear fender)I think that is an auto cancel or tip over switch.So as of now I have no working turn indicators.Can anyone help, PLEASE?

It sounds as if you got water someplace where it shouldn't be. Try blowing out the turn signal switch area on the bars with some air or a vacuum on exhaust side and see where it gets you.

Thanks guys,I tried WD40 around the openings of the switches on both sides.I'll put the air to it and see what happens.Thanks again.

hey guys new here. i have one of those electric air mattress blow up devices(much cheaper than the bike drier thing someone is selling out there for like 200$) and it works great for drying the bike after getting caught in rain or after a wash. don't forget contact grease on those bulbs if you take them out and clean them. cheers everyone!

hey guys new here. i have one of those electric air mattress blow up devices(much cheaper than the bike drier thing someone is selling out there for like 200$) and it works great for drying the bike after getting caught in rain or after a wash. don't forget contact grease on those bulbs if you take them out and clean them. cheers everyone!

Welcome Suge-Nightster to HDTimeline family of riders & enthusiasts. Thank you for your post and cheers to a great New Year. :cheers

Be Careful with the WD40 usage. I spent 20 years working on Jets and we used to use WD40 to clean the chrome on the struts. After a while we started having delamination problems with the chrome. After some detailed studies by the engineers we found out that the WD40 was making the chrome come off. Since everyone takes pride in the chrome on a Harley I would be careful.:58:

Be Careful with the WD40 usage. I spent 20 years working on Jets and we used to use WD40 to clean the chrome on the struts. After a while we started having delamination problems with the chrome. After some detailed studies by the engineers we found out that the WD40 was making the chrome come off. Since everyone takes pride in the chrome on a Harley I would be careful.:58:

WD-40 is not a drying agent for electrical components! Use a spray electric/electronic component cleaner. CRC makes some for electrical contacts available at a commercial electric supplier or get the Radio Shack stuff. I prefer the CRC stuff. Always good to have around. It has a drying agent. In the pre florocarbon days these products would really dry stuff out. Tri-chloro-ethane was a real good cleaner/dryer for electrics and electronics. Mostly outlawed today.

Back