free website stats program 97 ultra with no spark | Harley Davidson Forums

97 ultra with no spark

shorrocks

I am borrowing my Dad's 97 Ultra. I went to start the bike in preps for a ride and it would not start. The fuel pump turns on and the engine light goes off after 4 sec.

The bike rolls over strongly. I cleaned the battery terminals and the ground stud by the battery. I pulled the rear plug and attempted to check for spark and found none at the rear plug. I looked at the crank position sensor and it did not appear to be loose or have wiring issues.

I have searched the forum and found that you can used the ignition switch to determine if there are any engine codes stored.
However, I am not having any luck retrieving the codes.

I turn the switch on, wait 1 sec after the fuel pump stops, then turn the switch off. Wait 3 sec and repeat. I then turn the switch back on. The engine light goes out after 4 sec and NOTHING. I expect flashing lights which should provide me with any stored codes.

Do I have the right procedure to check the codes on this specific year?
Am I doing something wrong in the procedure?
Ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

I am borrowing my Dad's 97 Ultra. I went to start the bike in preps for a ride and it would not start. The fuel pump turns on and the engine light goes off after 4 sec.

The bike rolls over strongly. I cleaned the battery terminals and the ground stud by the battery. I pulled the rear plug and attempted to check for spark and found none at the rear plug. I looked at the crank position sensor and it did not appear to be loose or have wiring issues.

I have searched the forum and found that you can used the ignition switch to determine if there are any engine codes stored.
However, I am not having any luck retrieving the codes.

I turn the switch on, wait 1 sec after the fuel pump stops, then turn the switch off. Wait 3 sec and repeat. I then turn the switch back on. The engine light goes out after 4 sec and NOTHING. I expect flashing lights which should provide me with any stored codes.

Do I have the right procedure to check the codes on this specific year?
Am I doing something wrong in the procedure?
Ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

Harley Davidson Community If this does not work you may have to have your local shop use The Scanalizer to pull the codes, This is an expensive scanner made by Kent Moore for Harley

Try this. Turn the switch on and off for 1 sec. Do that 3 times. Hopefully you will get your flashing lights.

Thanks for the responses.
However, that did not work either.
My Dad's mechanic suggested new plugs. So, I have new plugs and planning on installing them and then trying again.

Any ideas as to why it will not fire?

Thanks,
Steve

Any ideas as to why it will not fire?

I don't have a schematic for this year bike but measure the AC output of the crank sensor while cranking the engine. See what you have. Is this bike single fire or dual fire ignition. Would you know if it has a cam sensor.

Thanks for the additional advice.
As for the single or dual ignition, I have no idea. I can ask my Dad.

Dad did mention a cam sensor.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to work on the bike for the past several days. I hope to get to it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steve

Back