free website stats program '97 EVO EFI noise? | Harley Davidson Forums

'97 EVO EFI noise?

I have a "rattling" noise I can not locate. It has been there for a while. Recently, new pistons, cam and lifters - noise still there.
I suspect it is in the EFI system, maybe a solinoid.

It happens between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm and mainly when slightly accelerating.

Any help out there on this one?

dean

What octane fuel? You need a good grade of high test if it's pinging/rattling.(93 octane like Sunoco)

Not pinging - using the highest octane gas I can buy in CA. I know pinging. This is more like rattling marbles in a tin can. Not on hard acceleration - constant rattling at about 2,800 rpm.
I read a lot of your answers and respect your opinion, thanks for the info.
dean

Exactly what it sounds like and is the first thing I checked and double checked. The noise is higher in the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently, new pistons, cam and lifters - noise still there.
Have you checked to make sure the push rods are adjusted right? As in are you sure you do not have a lifter failing to pump up. Being an Ultra there could be some thing in the fairing, etc. rattling. Fossil

Not pinging - using the highest octane gas I can buy in CA. I know pinging. This is more like rattling marbles in a tin can. Not on hard acceleration - constant rattling at about 2,800 rpm.
I read a lot of your answers and respect your opinion, thanks for the info.
dean

CA kind of says it all. The lean running engines in CA have a host of problems. Try an octane booster and see if it helps eliminate the noise. Being a '97 bike, I would think it is a carbed engine so a rejetting may help your problem. The low speed circuit should be upped to a #46 jet. If it is a fuel injected bike, then a TFI would do the job.

You didn't mention the octane rating of the fuel you use.

If you eliminate it being a detonation ping and you have no exhaust leak stiick a small bar with a 90*bend on it into your mufflers,grab the baffles with it and give them a little push,then a tug.A loose baffle can give a terrible rattle at certain rpm's

Back