free website stats program 96" exhaust on 80" softail motor | Harley Davidson Forums

96" exhaust on 80" softail motor

I am in the market for a exhaust for my 96 fatboy with the 80" motor. I am wanting to do either the v&h shortshots, or the hooker shorts slash cut. I found a smoking deal on the hooker shorts, 190 shipped, but they are for 86-06 softails 96" up motors. When I contacted the seller of them, they told me that these pipes will work for my bike even tho they say for 96+. Any ideas or opinions on this? Will they work or are they just trying to make a sale. Thanks in advance guys.

SOunds like a whole bunch of mixed up information to me. The 96" motor was not even available until after 06, I believe the first year was 07 :newsmile036:

The years mentioned stock bikes had an 88" inch motor with available upgrades of 95" or 103" the CVO Screamin Eagle bikes came with a 103" from the factory and the same pipes would work on all three motors.

The 07 exhaust would require 02 sensor taps in the exhaust, not sure but I believe it was 07 models that first had the 02 sensors. I know for certain the 05 models did not have 02 sensors.

The person selling the exhaust sounds clueless to me. I only have a half a clue myself:laugh

I have no idea. Heres the model number of exhaust if someone wants to look it up.27818HKR. And heres the exact description of it off the site. HOOKER EXHAUST SOFTAIL 1986-2006 Short Slash Cut for 96" and larger engines. I did call holley and ask them and they told me the exhaust would work, but I am still a little hesitant.

However the more I read, the more im thinking about getting them. Other pipes dont even list size of engines. Just what model they fit. They say they fit 86-06 and 07-10 while doing away with the o2 sensors and installing a PC. Im not planning on ordering til wed, so if anyone else has info or opinions lmk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still say either the years are off or the engine size is. I am not sure what year they switched from the 80 evo to the 88 twin cam but there was no such thing as a 96" motor prior to 07.:newsmile034:

I would say its the engine size. Seems like all pipes for a softail will fit any size motor from years 1986-2010. There isnt any o2 bungs in these, but wont need them anyways. I received an email after I posted this thread, and they told me that if they didnt work for me, I can send em back for a full refund. All I gotta do is pay the shipping back. No other name brand pipe I have looked at has even mentioned engine size. Its only said softails and the same years. I think ill go ahead and get em. 190 shipped to my door and I love the look of them. But still, 2 days to talk me outta it or change my mind.

If they don't work and you can send them back I say go for it. Those suckers are loud I bet. My wifes FXDX had Bassani shorts on it, was the loudest bike I ever heard in my life....we both LOVED IT!

P.S. The 88" came out in 1999 on the dressers and dynas. The softail didnt get it til 2000. And yes, the 96" did come out in 07.

Im hoping they will be a good loud. I wanted to go with the troublemakers or v&h big radious, but I thing the curve on them 2 pipes will look a little weird and the fatboy. I really like the way short of mid pips sound. Main reason for going with shorts is to keep them away from the passenger pegs and keep them from burning shoes to the pipe and my stock slicpons melted my passenger peg when folded in. I think these hookers will look awesome on here.

I just put Vance Big Radius on my 98 Fatboy, same pipes that go on the Twin Cam 88. Don't know if they fit a 96.

one other question. I am gonna go ahead and do the hooker short slash cut, and then doing a chrome spike air cleaner filter from D2MOTO.COM for the air cleaner. Does anyone have any recomendations for what I need to do for jetting. I got a good buddy that has a jet kit and told me that I can use some jets outta it, and he will put em in for me. He just told me to figure out exactly what jets I need. I am in Dayton Ohio if you need to know that for elevation. Thanks in advance

Correct me if im wrong, but if I am reading self help sections right it looks like I just need to change my low speed jet to a 46. I already have the 2 washers on the needle. It is popping thru the carb a lil now, but I havent changed my exhaust or switched to the spike filter yet. I think if I do the 46 low jet, and do the mods it should straighten out.

Back