free website stats program 96 Dyna Starter Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

96 Dyna Starter Replacement

glocke17

Buddy of mine called and wants me to help him replace the starter on his 96 Dyna. Bought my shovel in 77 and can do anything with it just not familar with the newer bikes. Looks like I have to open the primary cover, anyone give me some pointers here?

Buddy of mine called and wants me to help him replace the starter on his 96 Dyna. Bought my shovel in 77 and can do anything with it just not familar with the newer bikes. Looks like I have to open the primary cover, anyone give me some pointers here?

Strongly recommend getting the HD Factory Service Manual covering model and year.

If you are changing out the starter, it is fairly straight-forward:
  1. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery
  2. Drain the primary
  3. Remove the primary cover
  4. Unbend the locking tab on the screw holding the pinion gear
  5. Remove the screw (long)
  6. Remove the starter mounting bolts
  7. Remove starter
  8. Install in reverse order (ensure coupler installed the right way)
TQ

Strongly recommend getting the HD Factory Service Manual covering model and year.

If you are changing out the starter, it is fairly straight-forward:

1. [*]Disconnect the negative cable from the battery

TQ

1. Please abide by this one.... I know it the hard way! On my 97 FXDS and oops! lucky i only got CUT....

signed....BUBBIE

Local HD shop told us they could order the manual for us be here in 7-10 days. River Run in Laughlin started yesterday and well we want to ride, and not on the same bike! Thanks for the reply's looks stright foreward enough. Now who had that starter?

Yep got that was the wrong info. As it turned out his bike had a open primary, belt drive and there was so much dirt the started gear would not engage. Cleaned everything out, new grease and viola, works great! Good thing too cause to get out the starter would have involved pulling the clutch hub. On our way to the River Run tomorrow am, humm what do I need this year?
Thanks anyway
Gary

Back