free website stats program 96 custom FX Clutch problems!! | Harley Davidson Forums

96 custom FX Clutch problems!!

Zakk

I have a 4 speed shovelhead tranny in my custom, with a barnett kevlar clutch. The clutch keeps coming out of adjustment and the bearing on the end of the push rod has been destroyed everytime I take my kicker cover off. I have replaced every part in the clutch, changed the plates, used different types of oil, and adjusted the clucth every way I could. Does anyone have any ideas I am stumped?

Are you sure it's not the clutch cable? As they get old they stretch and then break.

it turned out that the push rod was worn on the release bearing end and nothing was spinning....it was fusing together.....i just bought this bike....now i am having trouble with the primary.....if i put the compensator sprocket and back on the bike according to the manual its outy of alignment......there are 2 more spacers and no matter where i put them the stator will not spin and the bike wont charge......everything seems to bind .....this is my first harley

Are you sure it's not the clutch cable? As they get old they stretch and then break.

I had the same problem with my fxr. then one day i changed the handlebars and needed a new cable, adjusted it ONE time no problems. Turns out my old cable was stretched way out.

==========================================================

it turned out that the push rod was worn on the release bearing end and nothing was spinning....it was fusing together.....i just bought this bike....now i am having trouble with the primary.....if i put the compensator sprocket and back on the bike according to the manual its outy of alignment......there are 2 more spacers and no matter where i put them the stator will not spin and the bike wont charge......everything seems to bind .....this is my first harley

If your ride is anything like my ride it has a lot of changes done to it over the years. You may have a different year primary.

==========================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Back