free website stats program 96 and up crankshafts | Harley Davidson Forums

96 and up crankshafts

Heck52

Ok guys, Ive been a member of this site for about 2 years and last night I was going through the engine related section and came across the thread titled consideration about 96 and up engines. Namely the crankshafts. I have just gotten my 2010 FXDC for which I had traded my 2008 XL1200C in for. I love the bike, but just how comon is the crank issue. Now, I'm in my 50's and don't drive my bike as fast and hard as I used to. No mods. I went on youtube and found some good videos on the subject. 2 were links from Glider and the rest were a 4 part webcast by Revolution performance. Anyway anybody having problems?? I ofcourse having blind fath in the MOCO didn't buy extended warrenty. Not sure if I can still get it but may try and do so. My bike has 1500 miles todate.

I havent had any probs so far and i ride little hard like to see how fast i can make it from stop to 50 ..

dont know anyone that has had a crank comeapart yet does it worry me? some but what can ya do

I also went into a mild panic when I first read this thread quite a while ago. Then Glider, Smitty, Hobbit, and many other wise gentlemen residing on this forum educated me on the fact that this is mostly a problem on extremely modified engines ridden by folks who are basically racing their bikes most of the time. I haven't heard of a single peson riding a stock bike in a responsible manner having this problem. Not saying it couldn't happen but it's extremely unlikely.

That heads-up was for folks that were thinking about getting a "previously ridden" bike where you may not know exactly how the bike was cared for, or folks that were pulling their engine apart for cams, etc. Not really intended to panic folks that have had the bike since new and ridden sensibly. What triggered the post was a problem Formike56 had with his 2007 where excessive runout tore up the oil pump.

So this post is just to raise awareness, and also for consideration when buying a used bike.

TQ

That heads-up was for folks that were thinking about getting a "previously ridden" bike where you may not know exactly how the bike was cared for, or folks that were pulling their engine apart for cams, etc. Not really intended to panic folks that have had the bike since new and ridden sensibly. What triggered the post was a problem Formike56 had with his 2007 where excessive runout tore up the oil pump.

So this post is just to raise awareness, and also for consideration when buying a used bike.

TQ

NOW you tell me!!! :p

I also went into a mild panic when I first read this thread quite a while ago. Then Glider, Smitty, Hobbit, and many other wise gentlemen residing on this forum educated me on the fact that this is mostly a problem on extremely modified engines ridden by folks who are basically racing their bikes most of the time. I haven't heard of a single peson riding a stock bike in a responsible manner having this problem. Not saying it couldn't happen but it's extremely unlikely.

So True. I did the same "panic" thing with my '09.
Now I agree with the Dr. 100%

While you can never rule out anything in the universe, the likelyhood of having a crank runout problem is kind of remote if you keep your oil changed on schedule and don't attempt to make many 6000 rpm runs at WOT. If, by some quirk you do have a "pressed" crank that gets out of whack, it will likely happen before you have 20,000 miles on it. You will know it for sure because your feet will absolutely vibrate off the floor boards, big time! Not a little vib mind you, but a huge vib. If that happens and your still in warranty, they fix it on their dime.

Thanks guys for your input, it helps alot. When I first read the thread I did freak. When I decided to buy the bike and trade the sporty I had just found out I had cancer (prostate). Didn't know what life was going to be like so I cashed in the money my mon and dad left me and bought the bike. While recovering from surgery I read this and thought just great. Well I'm cancer free now and feel alot better that my bike won't blow on me. I love my Harley and have had 2 before on was an AMF. I might stick a oil pressure gauge on it. Anybody else put one on? Thanks again

Thanks, the bad news is that its 4 degrees and a foot of snow. I live in the north of WI. Can't wait till May

Back