free website stats program 92 fatboy not gettin fire | Harley Davidson Forums

92 fatboy not gettin fire

92fatboi

got a 92 fatboy 1200, that just died on highway last weekend, headlights and everything work, but its not firing, was ridin along and felt like u just hit the kill switch on it... looked all over for a wire loose or a short cant find any... anyone kno what could have happened?? please let me kno asap.. love to be riding this labor day weekend!!

Does it still have original type Ign. system. If so I would check for power at the coil 1st. Then go from there. Do you have a service manual?
tourbox

got a 92 fatboy 1200, that just died on highway last weekend, headlights and everything work, but its not firing, was ridin along and felt like u just hit the kill switch on it... looked all over for a wire loose or a short cant find any... anyone kno what could have happened?? please let me kno asap.. love to be riding this labor day weekend!!

The 92 FatBoy has a big twin EVO motor which is 1340cc/80ci. Do you have a modified Sporster 1200cc? Checking the coil is a good place to start. I would also check the run/stop switch to make sure it is operating correctly. If you don't have a manual now would be a good time to get one.

Welcome to The Forum, Check your run-stop switch for corrosion, also check the wires coming out of the nose cone, they go from the pick up assembly to the coil

1991-93_flstc_919.jpg
Here is a wiring diagram

just died on highway last weekend, headlights and everything work, but its not firing, was ridin along and felt like u just hit the kill switch on it...

So what happened after it died on the highway. Did the bike restart or did you have to trailer it back home.
Is it now in a state of cranking without starting.

Yes it still cranks over... pulled the pluggs to see if they were gettin a spark, no luck not getting fire... tried to work on it on the highway but died in a dangerous spot with a 2 ft. shoulder to lean on lol.. but eventually had to trailer it back home. just recently put a new stator on the bike about a 45 days ago... im figuring its somethin simple like a short in a wire. vibration maybe rubbed a spot somewhere.. thanks for all the help guys!!! i work so much 6 days a week 10 hrs a day i havent had time to work on it much..

A couple of basic tests...
Since the bike has a dual fire ignition, a problem on just 1 side of the secondary winding will cause both plugs not to fire. Check to see if you have 12 volts on the primary terminal that has the white wires on it. With the ignition key ON and run/kill switch in RUN position, that terminal to frame ground should have battery voltage on it.

If you do have voltage, then remove all primary wires and ohm out the primary and secondary windings on the coil. See if they meet spec. Then ohm out each secondary spark plug wire and see if they meet spec.

If all OK, then move on to what Jack suggested about nose cone trigger wires.

The Fatboy is fixed!!! it was the coil that was bad, on side was not reading any ohms.. since its a dual fire neither side was firing, $45 bucks for a new one and 2 new pluggs.. went on a 3 day trip through the great smokey mountains!! 640 miles this laborday weekend. rode The dragons tail on hwy. 129 .. 318 curves in only 11 miles!! what a ride! Thanks everyone for the big help!!! Good luck and stay safe out there guys.

Thanks for getting back to us and real glad you found the problem.

Back