free website stats program 91 ultra classic idle issues | Harley Davidson Forums

91 ultra classic idle issues

jeepwrench

i have a new to me 91 ultra classic electra glide. it sat about a year so it got a new battery and new fluids. i've had a real hard time getting it to run. i've taken the carb apart and completely cleaned it, all ports are clear. i've also put new intake gaskets in it.

it runs good off idle, the problem im having is it wont idle unless the choke is pulled.

i've been told i have a vacume leak somewhere. any suggestions. i'll be checking the voes switch as i've been pointed in that direction.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

idea,, choke sets idle turn up idle screw my first thought screw may not be touching

Could be the low jet may have some varnish buildup in it. Hope you checked it when the carb was apart.

Have you uncapped the idle mixture screw and adjusted it?

Last edited:
Good point smitty, no sense throwing money and time at a problem that did'n exist when it was parked. Sounds like there is something plugging up the carb, go with the cleaner and run it down the road to see if it clears up.

I agree, I would not make any adjustments, I would take the carb completely apart again and clean it real good. Pull the jets out and replace them, they are only about 5 bucks and clean the tube the main jet goes into. CV carbs are good carbs and usually do not need alot to tune them, that is assuming you have a CV carb.

Sounds like some varnish built up in the carb like Smitty said run some sea foam thru it it sure wont hurt it none cant let them sit with rotten gas in them it causes lots of problems when u could be riding

Sounds like some varnish built up in the carb like Smitty said run some sea foam thru it it sure wont hurt it none cant let them sit with rotten gas in them it causes lots of problems when u could be riding
I had same problem a year ago- tried all the expensive options and still couldn't get it right. Took it to a shop and it was the low jet- they replaced that and it ran like a raped ape. Just a FYI make sure you tighten the air cleaner backing plate bolts to the carb. The shop didn't do this, sucked 2 of the bolts in the motor and $5.5K later I finally got my bike back running. Like Smitty says above tried the CHEAP stuff 1st. Good luck
2Tall

Back