free website stats program 91 Electriglide True Dual/ cracked y pipe | Harley Davidson Forums

91 Electriglide True Dual/ cracked y pipe

bus driver

I have a stock 91 EVO Electriglide with a cracked y pipe. I a considering putting on a true dual system. My problem I'm having is finding a manufacturer for my year bike. The shop I deal with found one, but it is for a 95. We call the manufacturer ((Paucho) and they said it should fit my bike, but my slip ons will not fit. So I will have to get a newer style slip on. We also called HD and I can still get a new y pipe for almost $500.00. I'm just wondering if it's worth my while tring to weld the pipe or just replace the whole system with a true dual. The shop assured me the could weld it with success. I'm not going spend that kind of money for a new y pipe, when for only a couple of hundred dollars more I can get a complete true dual system. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a true dual system? Of course it would be a lot cheaper to just weld it (free), but the shop said I would get a noticeable performance improvement with a true dual system. They are good friends, so it's not that they are trying to make a couple of bucks. I know it's an old bike, but it runs like a top. It seems all of the manufacturers only go back to 95. I was wondering if anybody else with such an old bike had the same issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It has 31,000 on the clock. Thanx Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

A cracked Y pipe is common. If you enjoyed your ride prior to this let them weld it up and be done with it. If you really want true duals take a look at what fullsac has to offer for your bike. Middle of the road quality wise but good bang for the buck

It has lasted this long so why not just weld pipe up. Then you will have all the time in the world to decide if true duals are right for you.......:s
Remember the shop is in it to make $$$$$$

A friend with a "92 UC had the same problem. What he did was to cut the section from the head down to the Y out. Then cut circular caps to plug off the hole. This gave him true duals. If you can leave enough pipe stub you can place the heat shield back to cover the vacant spot. Just a thought.
tourbox

A friend with a "92 UC had the same problem. What he did was to cut the section from the head down to the Y out. Then cut circular caps to plug off the hole. This gave him true duals. If you can leave enough pipe stub you can place the heat shield back to cover the vacant spot. Just a thought.
tourbox

I did this for a friend. A frostplug for a small block chev fits perfectly in the pipe.

Fullsac has a true dual conversion kit for about $180. Welding works but is temporary. The metal is gauge thickness and everyone I know that has welded has seen the weld fail eventually. I would not invest in a new full true dual system; you will be disappointed. If you want a new system, go to a good 2:1 and you will feel some performance gain on the low end.

FullSac Performance | True Dual Conversion Kits 85-08 FLH Touring

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your front motor mount rubber and rubber donuts on your swing arm axle, also check the top and front motor turnbuckles for slop at the attachment points.

These items do wear out, if they do they can allow excess motor movement and cause cracking of the "Y" pipe.

Another sign of excess engine movement is weeping of cylinder base gaskets.

Hey guys, thanx for all of your advice. I looked at the Full-Sac pipes and that looked like the easiest way to fix this wrong. It's about $180.00 for the pipes, and they completely eliminates the Y pipe altogether. I think the reason it cracked is just age. All of the mounts were fine. It cracked right where it meets the pipe forward of the slip on. Not at the head pipe. But I am going to take a hard look at the rubber bushings when this God awful weather finally breaks. Needless to say, it's going down to 3 degrees tonight, so rest assured, I'm not going to be playing around in the barn tomorrow morning. I hate to admit it, but I did snow blow a path out of the barn to go riding. I think I'm in denial. So far my lowest temperature riding is 20 degrees to go Christmas shopping. She's worth it. Thanx again for all of your advice. Ride safe. Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

I forgot to mention, my wife and I took a long trip to NC, and before we left I noticed the head gaskets were weeping. So I replaced all of the top end gaskets before the trip. Thanx again for all of your help. Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion: True duals looks and sounds good. You loose a lot of low end torque.
True Duals is overated as far as performance.

Back